Chase & Phillips ch39 Exc.I-1

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Chase & Phillips ch39 Exc.I-1

Post by mingshey »

τρέχοντες ἐφαίνοντο οἱ παῖδες καὶ ἔβησαν εἰς τὸ ἱερὸν πρὶν τὸν ἄρχοντα γνῶναι αὐτούς.
It's been a hard chestnut for a long time. And now I challenge this sentence:

The boys were shown running and they went in the sanctuary(or just temple) before the commander who knows them(lit., knowing them).

Ptolemaios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ptolemaios »

Just one quick tip: γνῶναι is not a participle.

Ptolemaios

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Yes, it's a present 2ndary perfect of infinitive. But I'm at a loss how to treat an infinitive here.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

mingshey wrote:Yes, it's a present 2ndary perfect of infinitive. But I'm at a loss how to treat an infinitive here.
The problem is the pesky πρίν. Here it is taking the inf+acc. construction: "before the leader recognized them."

I'd also say "the boys appeared running" or even "made an appearance running," which is a bit awkward but less confusing.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

annis wrote:
mingshey wrote:Yes, it's a present 2ndary perfect of infinitive. But I'm at a loss how to treat an infinitive here.
The problem is the pesky πρίν. Here it is taking the inf+acc. construction: "before the leader recognized them."
Thanks, William! And I've figured it out just before looking at your answer, chewing it repeatedly since, and noticing that the leader was not said to be running after the boys, and the only verb he can take is [size=150]γνῶναι[/size]. :D
I'd also say "the boys appeared running" or even "made an appearance running," which is a bit awkward but less confusing.
Truely, thanks! :)