Saddam Caught

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
tdominus
Textkit Member

Saddam Caught

Post by tdominus »

Watching the news I see that the US has caught Saddam Hussein.

One of the US spokesmen said at the beginning of his speech, "We got him". It reminded me of Cicero's speech which the orator began, "They're dead." :)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Yeah I woke up 5 hours ago to my mum and dad talking about it and turning the volume of the TV up. :x I didn't want to wake up that early!
I've been sitting in front of the TV for most of the day (cause I'm wasn't in a state to do anything except sit around [hangover]).

Anyway, congrats to the Kurdish intelligence too for finding out where he was hiding.

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

TV's annoying like that, isn't it? Also they make ads louder than the show so you notice them more.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

To be blunt, I am absolutely disgusted. Just because he was a bastard releasing humiliating footage of coalition forces it does not give America the right to parade pictures of Hussein across our screens that we might actually support Bush or give him some credit. It is against clearly that old dusty convention. As the beautiful Claudette Ortiz once sang, two wrongs do not make a right.

If Hussein is to be on trial in our newfound liberated world why are George Bush and his slave traders not being done :x

Nexus Ferocis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nexus Ferocis »

You don't have a clue of what you are talking about, do you, Episcopus? Do you know who's showing these pictures of Saddam? The media! Don't you understand the circumstances? He is a dictator! Micheal Jackson has his face all across the media, are you disgusted? When Osama destroyed the twin towers, did you not expect to see his pictures and videos on the news? And now we have Saddam Hussein, a cruel dictator who oppressed his people, had mass graves of over 300,000 people, hung woman and children because they spoke out against him, started wars, and you somehow expect to see a little black silhouette in place of his picture?

Do you even know why you are angry?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Episcopus wrote: If Hussein is to be on trial in our newfound liberated world why are George Bush and his slave traders not being done :x
:?: :?:

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

I'm not even going to touch this with a million foot pole :-)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Here we go :D

By the way, I did think it a bit tasteless, but I cannot imagine anyone who deserves it more. He should be humiliated, and worse, but they can't do anything cruel to him.
Last edited by benissimus on Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Putting his photos on tv is as much a political move as anything. What better way to destroy the morale and hope of Saddam supporters than to show him captured and humiliated? What better way for Bush to regain some of his lost support and ensure himself a legacy than to be known as the one who caught Saddam? It's all politics.

Personally, I don't care either way whose face they show or don't, since I avoid television news (especially american news). Thank you Neil Postman. :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Well, I'm glad they caught him. I'm not going near the other discussion. :D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Nexus Ferocis wrote:You don't have a clue of what you are talking about, do you, Episcopus? Do you know who's showing these pictures of Saddam? The media!
Do you even know why you are angry?
So you tell me that media is not at all influenced by governments? Have you been watching Fox lately? What gives you the right to say me to have no clue? What gives you the great authority to question the origins of my anger? Are you a crazy Bush supporter or something? When allied troops were being paraded on Al Jazeera many here were disgusted. This was a political move by a tasteless Iraqi government then. The same thing is being done now by America irrespective of who he might have been, so that the general public may at least think that this war was a success in part. Each deed is wrong. Your view is that of the masses: he should be hanged, dictator dictatorship axisofevil tyrant FOXandfriends michael jackson hah look at his face. Was your family anywhere near the mass grave? Why should you judge him, laugh at his pathetic current appearance? Has your mother done anything but pay for bombs that deprive children of limbs? And prior to that your mother probably funded Hussein, payed for his gold taps and things dropped on Iran where most of my family was and is living.
Good people should strive to remain good and that includes removing things like Hussein. I believe however that humiliating pictures being broadcast worldwide, even to the communist chinese channel that I was watching (Phoenix TV) does not make things any better. It just adds more evil whichever way it does not matter. It's a sad world when people having had nothing to do with Hussein's affairs laugh at the killings of his sons.
Nevertheless due to human animal instinct I would want to kill Hussein myself were he to do anything to people close to me or anyone whom I know to be a good person.
The problem with media, american media especially is that it is so biased. Communism how much has America done to prevent it but sometimes I feel that the media is so badly influenced by the government that there is no point. Moreover is it that people are somehow unaware of America's aiding Hussein previously? Oh no, our free "E pluribus unus" (you can say that again!) U.S of A would never have made that Hussein, his army, his weapons, his potency be so formidable and terrible that mass graves should be created and the minute we are threatened and typically paranoid we'll go and spent hundreds of billions towards destroying a country and rebuilding it again! yay!
You're a clever boy, teaching yourself the glorious tongue of the glorious Japan, and you like history. So read something about how american government has worked for the past few years, no need to go into Vietnam, and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
Most of this anyhow is based on opinion and whether some random guy such as you or I should kick some guy in the face whilst he is down. Or at least laugh at him and say what a disgrace he is. Why do such negative things like this? Is there not supposed to be a law there to prevent unfair treatment in war? Or is Hussein an "exception"? Why don't we just send him to Texas and give him a nice booster? At least we know one guy to be definitely guilty!
So Hussein should die and Bush live with the glory in his white house. You should test, whether America be as bad as Iraq: put on a turban walk along the street holding a plastic gun. Obviously I can't predict what might happen but there is quite a great chance that you become shot.
All I know is, without America and Bush, his daddy, the previous presidents, a great amount evils around the world would not have been able to surface properly. Furthermore Bush does not give a schnitt whether women and children have been shot. It's all politics.
In addition Osama's bombing those towers has pleased Bush. It's a great political opportunity. He can become the war hero to smite those evils.
These Humiliating Hussein images will certainly help this. I'm sure you have seen the pictures of Al Qaeda members going shopping in America courtesy of Bush, and Osama's relatives being flown out to safety, a clever boy like you. After all, they are a rich Saudi family. It's all money but I don't need to tell you that do I. Yet with television corporations affiliated with the american government full of rich people who is to broadcast it? Then people like you mock me: "you don't know what you're talking about! They didn't show that on Fox!" It is not credible is it now, that American Bush should actually be friends with the people who made that so many people die. The same pattern follows for various shootings, murders etc. ("we will punish this evil"). If you hate America take out the white house. Nevertheless despite the disgust that I have I would never do that for "two wrongs do not make a right", Claudette Ortiz.
Konichiwa arigato I think :shock:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

let's wrap this thread up soon...

yes, it's the open board - but Politics and Textkit don't match.
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Come on jeff can you just let him reply, I was not nasty, it's a beneficial discussion :(

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Episcopus wrote:Come on jeff can you just let him reply, I was not nasty, it's a beneficial discussion :(
Yes of course he can reply. I'm saying that I don't want to see 5 pages of this round and round discussion. So I'm making a call for 'final thoughts'.
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

In conclusion... bishops will be bishops and to each bishop a fine rectory.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Nexus Ferocis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nexus Ferocis »

You have just proved that you don’t know what you are talking about. First off, I don’t like a foreigner creating American stereotypes. You seem to think that every American was laughing at Saddam. I know of no one who has done this, but you see one American (On TV perhaps) and think you know how the entire people act. You don’t seem to know the huge percent of the population who are democratic, entirely (and wrongly) Bush loathing, like you, but still are glad that Saddam is caught. Even Howard Dean does, and he has nothing (politically) but anger for Bush.

Second I am not a fanatical Bush supporter. I do not agree with everything he does, but what gets me is the fact that people like you will criticize him for everything he does, even if it was what you were after, just because Bush did it. It’s this blind rage that clouds thought. Take the patriot act; for the most part, I hate it, but so do all Democrats, despite that it is the big government that they are after. Why? Because they hate Bush and all he does, even when he supports them.

Then there is Hali-Burton, which under the Clinton presidency, every one loved. Al Gore wrote about how good it went to work helping us rebuild, but now that it is under Bush, despite that it is lowering gas prices and rebuilding Iraq, Democrats hate it.

The media is left wing. No denying it. Part of the reason everything in the world seems so wrong is the fact that the media is always reporting the bad side of a story. It seems that no one wants to hear the good news; it’s boring.

Speaking of the media, I have a rhetorical question for you: what came first, the media or the Democrats? When you think of it, is the media liberal, or are the Democrats like the media? That is how the Democrats get their attention, by making everything seem so bad that you must depend on them, on their big government. Have you listened to these pessimistic liberals? It is so depressing! Nothing is ever right to them, they would have you believe that there are soup lines from New York to California! I turn on the news to hear some Democrat talk about how the economy could and will crash at any moment. Come on.

Oh, and on that regard, liberals do not learn from history. The economy is good and getting better. When Reagan did his tax cut, mirabile dictu, we came out of recession, as has every tax cut done! Here is an interesting fact: the employment index soared to 68.3 from 47.7, after 37 consecutive months of decline. The last time the employment gauge was above 50 was September 2000. But no, not according to our national pessimists, who need everything to remain bad so you have to rely on them. Seriously, they're worse than the media.

And perhaps liberals have not learned to grow up, and they are all mentally teens, because even the candidates use such silly ways of misconstruing facts to the populous. Think of Arnold, they tried so hard to dig up dirt on him because they were hopeless without doing so. Beware, for no one is safe from liberal digging, not even the smallest thing will escape their hawk eyes, not even a tardy slip from 9th grade!

I assume that you have fallen victim to liberal half-truths. They are a party that sustains themselves by not letting the whole truth out. I have seen it all too often when they have omitted the context or a sentence from a quote to make it fit their needs. I have seen many quote that were wrong because they did not say that the speaker was sarcastic, and many of the likes.

I think it is sad that when America had its revolution, France came to our aid and supported us with 20,000 soldiers, sacrificed 4,000 troops for us, and in turn, we helped them in their revolution. For that, they gave us the STATUE OF LIBERTY! We were not being terrorized by the British, just taxed. And then there is Iraq, which has mass graves and authorities hanging women and children for the most trivial matters, we have only lost a bit over 400 men, and people say that this war is not justified? Why can't we help a nation and turn it into a great country?

Now, many other people have asked me: "Why can't we let Iraq settle its own problems?" That is a simple one: it can't. In colonial times, almost every American had a gun; it was hard to survive without one. In modern Iraq, citizens may not bear arms and the corrupt police have machine guns, which manifestly changes who reigns over whom.

Pacifism does not work! That is why a bully pushes kids around, because they don't fight back!

As you can see, I am of the Right, and this will probably stir anger in all of you here, but until the Democrats in America stop blatantly lying and acting like children, I can not admire their motives. Not everyone, but most who hate Bush, hate him just because everyone else does. They hate how he has a speech impediment, and they mock him. They are more concerned about how a candidate combs his hair that his actual views.

Well I have gotten a bit off track, but Episcopus, you have us wrong. You have over generalized us. There is much, much more that I would like to confute, and I have much more to say, but I know that we will remain politically obstinate. Jeff is right; this ends now.

Sorry everyone…

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

and done.

I might need to update the open board rules soon. Let's leave discussions about world events and politics/policy at the keyboard.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder