Hi there&looking for Sanskrit-Greek language exchange

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Maurice7007
Textkit Neophyte

Hi there&looking for Sanskrit-Greek language exchange

Post by Maurice7007 »

Hi there everybody, I'm new to this forum, so let me first introduce myself. I'm Maurice, I'm 23 years old and I am from Holland. I am still a student (I have studied Chinese Studies and other miscellaneous courses so far), and last year I also began studying Sanskrit. As I am interested in learning ancient Greek, I would like to know if anyone here is interested in learning Sanskrit. I'm looking for a kind of language exchange (text-chat or voice chat are both fine to me) where we could teach each other the basics of Sanskrit/Greek respectively and guide each other through simple texts.

I am certainly not an expert on Sanskrit as I have only studied the language a little more than half a year in college (though pretty intensively), but I have a fair grip of the basics and the Devanagari-script. So far I've worked through Jan Gonda's A concise grammar of the Sanskrit language (I also have the German version if you prefer) and I also have Michael Coulson's Teach Yourself Complete Sanskrit which so far I can fairly handle too, except for some sandhi parts which at times can be horrible and boring to go through;besides it's better to see sandhi at work in a predictable (semantic/morphological) context. Lately we've started reading Charles Rockwell Lanman's Sanskrit Reader in college, so if you would be particularly interested I could pass on to you what I've learned in translating Nala and Damayanti's story (for the biggest part).

If you have one of these materials and/or if you have a better suggestion for working through some other online material and are struggling through learning the basics of Sanskrit I think I can help you. If you have a fair grasp of (the basics of) Ancient Greek (you don't need to be an expert either) and can help me in my pronunciation then I am very eager to have a language exchange with you. So far I only have a Dutch textbook on Greek but if necessary I'm willing to buy a Teach Yourself-book.

Please let me know if you're interested!

Maurice

Talmid
Textkit Member

Re: Hi there&looking for Sanskrit-Greek language exchange

Post by Talmid »

Hi Maurice. Thanks for posting your inquiry--I am interested in engaging you more about this.

For a couple of years I've been gathering resources to begin a serious study of Sanskrit. Thus far I have T. Burrow's The Sanskrit Language, Lanman's Reader, Witney's Sanskrit Grammar, Speijer's Sanskrit Syntax, MacDonell's A Sanskrit Grammar for Students, Gonda's Concise Elementary Grammar..., Bhagavad-Gita (not sure if it's in Sanskrit or Hindi), and MacDonell's A Vedic Grammar for Students.

I have yet to crack open any of these books, but I do intend to study the language. Why not start now? If you're very interested, I would love to connect with you to do this project. Please send a private message so we can talk more about your interest.

Thanks!

Maurice7007
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hi there&looking for Sanskrit-Greek language exchange

Post by Maurice7007 »

Hi,

sorry for the very late reply. It looks like you have quite some resources here. It would be good I think to start with Gonda's grammar (like it says: a concise grammar) and the exercises. I am afraid, however, that only from the beginning of June I have enough time to engage in this language exchange.

I seem not to be allowed, as a new user, to send private messages. Could you e-mail me instead on maurice7007@hotmail.com and give me your e-mailaddress? Also, could you tell me something about any useful Greek resources where we could start? Thanks.

Maurice