Textkit Logo

Latin Praxis Exam

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Latin Praxis Exam

Postby thesaurus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:14 am

Has anyone taken the Praxis exam for Latin to teach K-12? I can't seem to find much info about the test. I just looked at the practice questions available from ETS and thought they were all quite easy. However, I'm sure the real test is a different experience, and I'd be interested to hear how others have done.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin Praxis Exam

Postby paulusnb » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 am

I did not know there was such a thing. Last I checked, there was no exam. On second thought, I might have been looking at my state's requirements rather than the actual existence of an exam. Interesting.

Found these. http://www.nocheating.org/Media/Tests/P ... f/0600.pdf

Don't know why it is called "no cheating." :D

You are right. The exam exists and it does seem easy. I cannot imagine the test would be that difficult. Outside of a really advanced Latin III or a Latin AP, the Latin covered in school is not super advanced. My big problem is to keep my Latin from dying.

To answer your question, I have not taken it nor have I met anyone who has. Sorry.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Postby thesaurus » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:51 am

As I suspected. Thanks, paulusnb! It turns out in Colorado we have our own test called the PLACE exam, which looks a tad harder than the Praxis. The questions requiring word substitutions and rephrasing definitely require some skill. What I found interesting is that one of the two test sections involves listening to and accurately transcribing recited Latin. This seems strange, but I like how it somewhat approximates a living language test, and I think a good Latin teacher shouldn't have any problem with it.

http://www.place.nesinc.com/PDFs/CO_FLD ... yguide.pdf

I think you're right to point out that the test itself will be the least of my concerns when it comes to actually teaching.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby paulusnb » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:31 pm

thesaurus wrote:What I found interesting is that one of the two test sections involves listening to and accurately transcribing recited Latin. This seems strange, but I like how it somewhat approximates a living language test, and I think a good Latin teacher shouldn't have any problem with it.

It is odd. I have never in my life even thought about transcribing latin. I can think of a million ways to test an Oral familiarity with Latin that are better. My guess is that they are trying to avoid the vocabulary problem (someone may have 1000 words down by sight but only 100 by sound). I think a more practical way to do it (and I am far from a practical man) is to limit it to classroom discussions. Maybe ask questions about weather, homework, books, etc. Tell person ahead of time what the topics are. Maybe even create a worksheet or limit it to the first five chapters of Traupman.

thesaurus wrote:I think you're right to point out that the test itself will be the least of my concerns when it comes to actually teaching.

Well, I did not mean to imply this. I myself am terrified by these types of tests because you have nothing to gain from them. You are expected to pass. There is only shame in a less than stellar score. It is bad enough that people treat Latin Teachers like some Jeopardy star. Obscure trivia.....ask magister. These types of things are a little like Jay Leno's Jaywalking. If I ever saw him come over to me with a microphone, I would run as if he were a rabid dog.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Return to Open Board