Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:Harry Potter in our favorite languages

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1423 date=1058312584]<br /><br /><br />Would the vocative be "Eximie" or "Eximi"?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />At the risk of causing small thermonuclear reactions from Episcopus by quoting another book......... Moreland and Fleischer note that the vocative of 2nd declension nouns ending in -ius ends in -i, so it would be Eximi'.<br /><br />Kilmeny (Milito - which is a verb, so can't be declined!)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />At the risk of causing small thermonuclear reactions from Episcopus by quoting another book.<br /><br />Oh, you're too funny.... ;D <br /><br />(Milito - which is a verb, so can't be declined!)<br /><br />Geez... I feel like an oddball here since I didn't register with a Latin name. :'(<br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I forgot to say... eximius is a rare "-ius" adjective
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1459 date=1058397358]<br />I forgot to say... eximius is a rare "-ius" adjective<br />[/quote]<br /><br />'Course, if I'd been doing my work **properly** (as Hermione would do it, to bounce briefly off the thread's original topic.....) I'd've looked it up in a dictionary first to find that out........<br /><br />OTOH..... why would an adjective be declined any differently from a noun (with the exception of 3rd declension adjectives which go to -i instead of -e in the ablative singular.... :P)? O eximi Benissime! Explain that one! (I did check on M&F, and the only adjective with a vocative declension that they mentioned was meus. So I suppose that this is an opportunity for Episcopus to prove the superiority of BLD....!)<br /><br />Kilmeny

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

[quote author=Milito link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1480 date=1058449912]<br />[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=30#1459 date=1058397358]<br />I forgot to say... eximius is a rare "-ius" adjective<br />[/quote]<br /><br />'Course, if I'd been doing my work **properly** (as Hermione would do it, to bounce briefly off the thread's original topic.....) I'd've looked it up in a dictionary first to find that out........<br /><br />OTOH..... why would an adjective be declined any differently from a noun (with the exception of 3rd declension adjectives which go to -i instead of -e in the ablative singular.... :P)? O eximi Benissime! Explain that one! (I did check on M&F, and the only adjective with a vocative declension that they mentioned was meus. So I suppose that this is an opportunity for Episcopus to prove the superiority of BLD....!)<br /><br />Kilmeny<br />[/quote]<br /><br />according to bennet's the voc. sing of adjectives in -ius end in -ie, not in i. He actually uses eximius as an example: eximie.<br /><br />Ingrid (hopefully my text is below the quote now, instead of in it. I will get the hang of this forum, one day...)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ah!! which is the right one?<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=6;threadid=94;start=45#1493 date=1058454862]<br />ah!! which is the right one?<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I'd have to hazard that both probably are, depending on "when" they're basing their Latin rules..... <br /><br />Kilmeny

merytdjehuty
Textkit Neophyte

Post by merytdjehuty »

I've got all the harry potter books in english and i adore them. I've also read the Artemis Fowl books (well, still halfway through the third), and i reckon their great. I did hear ablout them in Latin and gaelic, i think, and wouldn't mind having a Latin one, but oh well, I'm broke. :'(<br /><br />BB<br /><br />Merytdjehuty