Confirmation on a biblical phrase

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jimbo9876
Textkit Neophyte

Confirmation on a biblical phrase

Post by jimbo9876 »

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if somebody could tell me what this latin phrase is in english
"omnia possum in christo qui me confortat"
Thanks for your help

Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Confirmation on a biblical phrase

Post by Bretonus »

I can't really make a literal idiomatic translation, but I'll take a stab at it.

"I am able to do all things in Christ, who strengthens me."

I would like to see a few more attempts at this, since I'm not familiar with that use of in + abl, that it looks like it's using.

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Bretonus wrote:I can't really make a literal idiomatic translation, but I'll take a stab at it.

"I am able to do all things in Christ, who strengthens me."

I would like to see a few more attempts at this, since I'm not familiar with that use of in + abl, that it looks like it's using.
I'm sure that in Christo is simply a translation of the Greek phrase ἐν Χριστῷ (en Christō), which is not at all irregular in the New Testament corpus (especially in Paul).

Of course, this comes from Philippians 4:13, which says: πάντα ἰσχύω ἐν τῷ ἐνδυναμοῦντί με. The Textus Receptus inserts the word Χριστῷ at the end of the phrase, giving: πάντα ἰσχύω ἐν τῷ ἐνδυναμοῦντί με Χριστῷ. This is equivalent to the Latin expression given above. Notice that the participial phrase is used adjectivally, which comes across as a relative clause in Latin. It can also be the case that Χριστῷ is serving as an appositive for τῷ ἐνδυναμοῦντί με "the one who empowers me."

"I am strong with reference to all things in the one who empowers me, Christ."
OR
"I am strong with reference to all things in Christ, who empowers me."

Regards,
ΙΑΣΩΝ

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Post by jaihare »

Notice that the Vulgate, however, agrees with the shorter reading:

omnia possum in eo qui me confortat.

Where did you find the expression with Christo inserted?

Regards,
ΙΑΣΩΝ

jimbo9876
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jimbo9876 »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. It's one of my favourite biblical sayings and i noticed in the vulgate it never clarified christ as it was used earlier in the text, so i asked someone who spoke latin if i wanted to clarify christ how would i do it and i got the answer of "omnia possum in christo qui me confortat". I was just wondering if that was right or not?
Thanks again