Kindle or some other e-reader.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Turendil
Textkit Fan

Kindle or some other e-reader.

Post by Turendil »

Hello all I need some advice. I have a little extra cash courtesy of my uncle sam and I need to know whether to buy a kindle for my continuing latin/greek study or another form of E-book reader.

What do you guys think?

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Kindle or some other e-reader.

Post by 1%homeless »

I have been thinking about an e-reader myself. I think kindle would be great, but it is still cumbersome to deal with pdf files. There are other e-readers that have better support for pdf files, but their ergonomics don't seem as appealing. I don't know of any e-readers supporting djvu files. Yes, you can convert them to pdf, but it is a pain in the caboose because the conversion becomes an image and you lose the useful text search function with the converters that I have found. Another thing, it burns my bunsen that I can't do simple things on my gigahertz computer like annotating and ear marking my e-books without hogging so much resources and going through silly rigmarole. E-book technology is still primitive for both computers and e-readers and I will wait for e-reader tech to mature before I frustrate myself even more with wrangling my e-book collection. When there is finally some buzzword about managing personal "e-libraries" in e-readers, maybe then I might seriously consider buying one. I remember being mostly successful at setting up a search engine for my digital library in my computer a while back, so there is some progress ...albeit slow.