Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PRF
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PRF »

greetings to this wonderful community!
when i was a child i spoke as a child, but wanted to read the greeks in greek;
now i am old and the time is come.
so here i am, armed with Pharr (how come greek texts are always written in minuscule fonts?)
thick reading glasses and a double strength magnifier,
learning an ancient language
all with the help of this amazing technologically enabled virtual community.
can you beat it??
i've been ghosting around the Pharr forum and you people defy adjectives re your generosity of time etc.
so i've registered, really, to say thanks;
but i can foresee wanting to beg for help, so a couple of queries:
a)how come some messages have greek characters, some roman with [/][[etc. ans some just ##=//etc.
b) how do i enter greek characters if i want to post a message
c) how come i can't change my user name in the user control panel
thanks again, and especially to those who keep it running and looking so good, for this site.
p.s. tried a couple of texts, don't know if it's my character or what, but i love Pharr's arcane way of doing things!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Re: Newbie

Post by Lex »

PRF wrote: a)how come some messages have greek characters, some roman with [/][[etc. ans some just ##=//etc.
Textkit's "standard" used to be to display text with the SPIonic font, which uses Betacode; so the word Πηληϊάδεω would look like Phlhi:a/dew if you don't have the SPIonic font on your computer. Then the standard was changed to Unicode. And the board was hacked, which screwed up old posts and turned the Unicode into garbage. (And sometimes we spell words like so, Pe^le^iadeo^, without accents and breathing marks, in deference to individual posters who can't seem to get Unicode Greek to display properly on their computers.)
PRF wrote: b) how do i enter greek characters if i want to post a message
Set up a Greek Polytonic keyboard on your computer, if you run Windows. See here for details.
PRF wrote: c) how come i can't change my user name in the user control panel
The gods have decreed it such?
PRF wrote:p.s. tried a couple of texts, don't know if it's my character or what, but i love Pharr's arcane way of doing things!
Pharr's not arcane; just old-fashioned. A PDF copy is located in the Learning Greek section, in case you didn't know that. Good luck.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

PRF
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PRF »

Lex wrote:
Set up a Greek Polytonic keyboard on your computer, if you run Windows. See here for details.
thanks, it works!
Lex wrote:
Pharr's not arcane; just old-fashioned.
:oops: ouch
Lex wrote:
Good luck.
thanks

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

PRF wrote:
Lex wrote:
Pharr's not arcane; just old-fashioned.
:oops: ouch
I meant that as a straightforward statement of fact with respect to Pharr (which is the book I study from also), not as an insult to you. Besides, sometimes the oldies are the goodies. Else why would I be studying the oldest extant European literature, that of Homer?
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!