Hi There!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kilili
Textkit Neophyte

Hi There!

Post by Kilili »

Hi!

I have stumbled upon this site (strangely enough) while researching what options are open for learning Latin.

I am currently doing background research on a book I am compiling for an artist who draws much of his inspiration from the ideas of Da Vinci, and who works quite a lot in Latin, so I would like give myself
some grounding in the language.

I'm going to start looking at these lessons straight up, but I do have a question - is there a difference between the Latin used by the Romans and that used by da Vinci and his contemporaries - shall we say the Latin used between 1450 and 1550?
Veritas Omnia Vincit

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Hi There!

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi and welcome,

It depends upon the Latin you are dealing with. If we speak of mere Latin used by humanists from XVI-XVIII centuries (not counting Italian humanists as Dante, Petrarca, Boccaccio, &c., because their Latin is -mainly orthographically different), it tries to imitate Classical style (based mainly upon Cicero). So, if you learn "standard" (i.e., Classical) Latin, you would be able to study the ca. 2400 years of Latin literature. Another thing is Ecclesiastical Latin and Botanical Latin which you could understand from a basic Latin background.

Excuse me. I have been a bit simpleton but it works at the beginning.

Regards,
Gonzalo

Kilili
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kilili »

Thanks Gonzalo.

So, are you saying that if I study Classical Latin I would basically have the right grounding to gain a reasonable understanding of later versions?
Veritas Omnia Vincit

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Yes, but with some caution because not all those writers are good ones and you could find that some authors use expressions taken from their own language which don't make any sense at all in Latin. Anyway, Justus Lipsius, Joseph Justus and Julius Caesar Scaliger, Pico della Mirandola, Melanchthon, Valla, Grotius, Leon Battista Alberti, Erasmus, etc., use to be understandable when you have a considerable skill in Latin. If you can read Cicero, then they will be affordable. Erasmus, for instance, is difficult sometimes because -in my opinion- he has an exaggerated style, but they all tend to imitate Cicero -which seeks for equilibrium and harmony.
By the way, when someone begins to study Classics or has any interest in it, I use to recommend William Harris' personal page (this one concretely) because it's really interesting and offers a lot of information.

Regards and good luke with your studies!
Gonzalo

Vardigon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Vardigon »

Thanks for the link to William Harris' page. There is /indeed/ a lot of information there!

Kilili
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kilili »

Thanks Gonzalo, that looks like a lot of interesting information there.

I'm starting with D'ooge, (did I mention I'm a total beginner here? LOL) and looking forward to seeing where this takes me!
Veritas Omnia Vincit