error - my site in Firefox, Flock

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

error - my site in Firefox, Flock

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salvete, amici!

So, having a Mac, I would use Safari as my browser almost all the time. Recently I used Firefox and also Flock (my new favorite browser) to look at http://www.ScorpioMartianus.com/ — and I find it's totally messed up!

All font color, italicization, font type, and even tables for formatting (!) are all missing in Firefox/Flock, but not in Safari. Why is this so? What can I do to make ScorpioMartianus compatible with Mozilla-based browsers?

Gratias in anticipatione!
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Re: error - my site in Firefox, Flock

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi
I would encourage you to change from tables and font tags to css which is going to give you much better cross browser consistency. That aside, have you looked at your source code in your main frame? I have never seen so many nested tags.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Yikes! I concur with Jeff, too many nested <div>s. Better use CSS with "class" divisions in the html.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Yes, you're right about that; it's Adobe GoLive — I should see if I can clean that up, since it's so easy to edit things around in the graphic interface of the programme, while neglecting the code oddities.

I've never heard of CSS — where should I go to learn it?

Thanks for the suggestions!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Lucus Eques wrote:I've never heard of CSS — where should I go to learn it?
What?! Have you been living under a rock on Mars...? oh I see that you are a scorpion... well then never mind. :lol:

Anyway, here are a couple of web tutorials that might help you get going. If they don't work for you, though, just Google "css learn".

http://www.html.net/
http://www.cssbasics.com/

Btw, it's always better to design websites with software that let's you manipulate the code. It might take you longer, but it's much more fun!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I agree! it is more fun. Many thanks, Amadeus! I've already retooled ScorpioMartianus's stylesheet and learned basic CSS, thanks to you two. Right now I'm in the process of seeing just how much I can do in a CSS file and not in main html page. Hopefully I'll be done with all that today.

Btw, nice play on words. ;)

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

While you are mastering CSS, I humbly petition you to change the color scheme. White on black is hard to read, plus it gives off a faint teenager-on-MySpace vibe.

Aoidoi.org uses very simple CSS for the most part: http://www.aoidoi.org/m.css
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

annis wrote:While you are mastering CSS, I humbly petition you to change the color scheme. White on black is hard to read, plus it gives off a faint teenager-on-MySpace vibe.
Heh, I appreciate the suggestion — but I moved away from the "traditional" color scheme from the previous Latin blog I had for a good reason.

In general, for people 30+, it's easier to read black text on a white background than almost anything else.

In general, for people 20 and below, it's easier to read blood red to white (usually boys and men) or pink to white (usually girls or women) on a background color of their preference, usually dark.

Those in the middle can go with either. These facts and many others are to be found at IanJukes.com.

This is not related to age, but experience: people who are below 20 have grown up with computer and video games that have trained them to be accustomed to the non-traditional format. Those of us who played computer and video games / internet use, etc., but who read often, are adapted to both, and may even like black on white.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to appeal to both simultaneously. But there are mitigating factors in addition to these generalities: for one the red/black color scheme is thematic to Mars. Moreover, ScorpioMartianus is more than anything a podcast, for audio, while the text serves only as a supplement to that. Thus reading is not critical to the site, but with the pictures can be pleasant.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Fixed! It's all better now — and the main page is only 12K to upload! A big difference from the multi-hundred K from before ... Now I just have to apply the changes to the other pages on the site, heh. Good thing I asked you guys! You helped a lot! Gratias. :D

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS