Textkit Logo

Pankration fighting and Greek language

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Pankration fighting and Greek language

Postby COPLAND 3 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 am

I love martial arts and I have been a student of it for years. Pankration is an ancient Greek martial art, probably the oldest form, that is basically the same thing as the Mixed Martial Arts today, such as the Ultimate Fighting Championship. When I studied some Pankration a few years ago I found it quite harmonious with my Greek studies because of the Greek names to the fighting moves.
COPLAND 3
Textkit Neophyte

Postby easternugget » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Could you post some of these names of moves to those of us who love Greek but haven't done any martial arts?
easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Postby quendidil » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:01 pm

easternugget wrote:Could you post some of these names of moves to those of us who love Greek but haven't done any martial arts?

Wikipedia has listed a few moves
quendidil
Textkit Member

Postby swiftnicholas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:17 am

You might be interested in the book "Studies in the Terminology of the Greek Combat Sports" by Michael Poliakoff (Königstein/Ts.: Hain, 1982). I think it is simply a printing of his doctoral dissertation. It has a very thorough discussion of the terms with references to visual depictions. I've been reading it along with other discussions of ancient sports as background to Pindar's poetry.
swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Open Board