Salve!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dancingkatz
Textkit Neophyte

Salve!

Post by dancingkatz »

I was given the URL to this site by a friend who thought I'd find it useful and from what I've seen so far he was right!

I'm returning to learning Latin after a year's hiatus and am using Wheelock's 6th edition. I'm currently re-taking Latin 101 at Wright State University and the instructor has flown through 7 chapters in 12 class sessions. I need more practice and moral support because I'm having ot spend far more time outside of class studying than I ever expected (I was thinking an hour a day but it's more like three).

My goal is to learn classical Latin and then go on to Medieval Latin so I can study European liturgical and government documents from the original manuscripts (or facsimiles thereof).

Can anyone recommend a good (i.e. useful and practically sized) Latin-English/English-Latin dicitonary? Thanks!
:D
Very truly yours,

Dancingkatz aka Christine

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Salve!
I have Cassell's and I like it a lot. It's sturdy, the font is easy to read, it gives examples of words being used, and the edges of the pages are marked alphabetically to help you find your place. As far as a portable dictionary goes, Collin's Gem is awesome, and I got if for 6 bucks! Anyway, hopefully some others will share their experiences as well to help you decide.

Eurysilas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Eurysilas »

Salve, dancingkatz. I concur with calvinist, Cassell's is indeed GOOD. But the BEST is the Oxford Latin Dictionary, or OLD, or so I've been told. Last time I looked it up, though, it went for over $100, too expensive for me. So, I settled on Cassell's.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Salve Felessaltantes!

You'll be happy to know that Medieval Latin, especially the variety you have in mind, will be a non-issue if you've learned your Classical. It's essentially simplified classical with occasional quirks, and best dealt with in context.

I find the idea of learning the art of paleography more terrifying in some ways than learning another language...

And 'practically sized' would not be a good way to describe the OLD...