Amadeus Latine

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Amadeus Latine

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salvete, omnes!

This week at ScorpioMartianus.com, I have posted a scene from the wonderful movie Amadeus dubbed into Latin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNfz0r4_OAM&fmt=18

As you will hear and read in this week's programme, I ask your opinions on classical music: are you fans? Who's your favorite composer, and why? what musical style about this composer most pleases you? Do you even like classical music, and if not, why so?

Also: my review (and others'!) of The Dark Knight!

Optime valeatis!
Last edited by Lucus Eques on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

I am unable to access youtube (i only have internet access at work), but would be keen to see your work Luce.

(On a side note, do take care with copyright when you make these adaptations.)
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Very nicely done, Luce.

I am a big fan of classical music. That is what I listen to the most. As a child my dad would put on classical music cds while I and my siblings were playing in the living room. At first I didn't notice, but with time I got used to the sounds and even began to like them. The cd contained a mix of various composers, but it was Mozart's music which I took a liking to the most. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but to me classical music is perennial, the only music which can truly excite deep human emotions. Contemporary music is like candy, but too much candy can't be good for you; you need something stronger, healthier. :P

I do have some observations about the dubbing, though, Luce. You may probably not know this, but Mozart's full and latinized name is Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart. Notice how the last name "Mozart" remained unchanged?

(Loved your female voices in the dubbing. Hahahae)

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salve, Kasper: duely noted! I give credit where credit is due!

Amadeus, amice: thanks for your commentary! I'd love to feature what you said about classical music in the next programme; I could translate it, but I'll let you put it into Latin yourself if you prefer.

I'm glad you liked the female voices. :) Actually that was my mother. I can do a pretty convincing fiorentina, but I figured it would be more believable to have a woman's voice — plus, it didn't require her even to know Latin!

I appreciate your note on Mozart's given name at baptism. If you read Mozart's letters to his mother and sister from childhood, however, you see that, in whatever country he happened to be in, he would alter his name for fun to fit the local language: Wolfgang Amadé Mozart in France, Wolfgango Amadeo Mozarto in Italy, and Wolfgangus Amadeus Mozartus when at the Vatican. In one particular letter (191a) to his sister, dated Munich 16 December 1774, he signs "Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Amadeus Sigismundus Mozartus."

So it is reasonable to assume also, as with most names of the period, that "Mozarte" was how he and others would have addressed him in Latin.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Lucus Eques wrote:Amadeus, amice: thanks for your commentary! I'd love to feature what you said about classical music in the next programme; I could translate it, but I'll let you put it into Latin yourself if you prefer.
Hmmm... maybe I can put it in Latin. Thanks, btw!
In one particular letter (191a) to his sister, dated Munich 16 December 1774, he signs "Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Amadeus Sigismundus Mozartus."
Oh, I didn't now that. Very interesting. 8) But what's this about "Sigismundus"?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

I don't know how reliable Wikipedia is on this, but this article only mentions the variant Mozartus at the end, in a section called "Facetious names": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart%27s_name

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Though I listen to lots of classical music, I severely dislike the term 'classical music' as it implies some sort of superiority to other sorts of music.

My father is or was a renowned researcher on the life and work of Gustav Mahler, thus I have been exposed from my very early childhood to some of the most complex and least accesible of the great wellknown composers. As a small, uneducated child, I very much disliked the great, furious drama constantly lurking, either under surface or in the open, of these grand symphonies, but as I got older, I started to like them more and more.

I think exposure to the complex emotions and arrangements of symphonies helped me to form a very wide taste in music.

Some favourites of mine include Mahler and especially Wagner, whose grand emotions and clear romanticism are as amiable to me as anything, now as I am twenty years old and almost addicted to the romantic period. Grandeur is where the gold is for me.

Somehow, the Wienerklassik never did anything for me, it's almost like boybands (though no direct musical comparison!!), it's too lean and well-produced and lacks the drama of the less-than-beautiful melodies.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

"Sigismundus" was one of his baptisimal names.

And that's delightful, Tim! (if I may call you so, since I can't figure out the vocative of your Greek name). I'll translate that into Latin myself for the show, but you might like to take a whack at it before I do.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS