Washington DC

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Washington DC

Post by swiftnicholas »

I'm at the Center for Hellenic Studies for the next few weeks for a seminar on homecoming themes in Greek literature. It's a gorgeous little complex on Whitehaven directly across the street from the Clinton's house. It's like Ancient Greek summer camp! I'm going to spend a lot of my time playing in the library, I'm sure, but if anyone knows of some good bookstores in the area, or has suggestions for museums or restaurants, it would be greatly appreciated.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I'd love to know some good book stores, too, seeing that I'm already living here! I haven't been here long, but here are some thoughts.

As far as restaurants go, there are many and good ones to choose from around M street and Dupont Circle. I'm a big fan of thai food, and I highly recommend Basil Thai on Wisconsin Ave., Thai Phoon in Dupont, and Bangkok Bistro in Georgetown.

For museums... all the smithsonian museums are free! There is also a free jazz concert in front of the National Gallery of Art every Thursday evening.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Also, if you're so inclined, the Dumbarton Oaks estate in Georgetown is not only opulence spectacular to behold, but it's home to Harvard's center for Byzantine studies. It has a research library and hosts a summer byzantine Greek seminar, though gaining access to these resources is another story.