Perseus

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
auctor
Textkit Member

Perseus

Post by auctor »

I see from P's home page that more work has been done on their hopper thingy. A message dated 13 May was posted...

'New updates to Perseus Hopper open source release: The open source release of the Perseus Hopper has been updated. You now have the choice of downloading the data generated by the installation process rather than loading the data using the texts. The text files continue to be available under the Creative Commons license.
Download the latest release of source code from SourceForge.
Download the text files or data here. '

Would any kind soul care to explain exactly what that means in English please. Are we any nearer to being able to have the P texts on our own machines in a searchable manner?

Many thanks,
Paul

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Perseus

Post by annis »

auctor wrote:Would any kind soul care to explain exactly what that means in English please.
I'm not sure you want to know exactly. The short version is that it will take fewer days for people to install the Perseus hopper if they want to run it. The ab initio build process takes nearly a week — one database load is advertised to take four (4) days.
Are we any nearer to being able to have the P texts on our own machines in a searchable manner?
Nope. Perseus is through-and-through a server, not a desktop application.

As I typed the sentence above a truly perverse thought settled in my brains — convert the Perseus texts' XML into the nasty TLG file format, making them usable through Diogenes. Not sure how well that would work.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

auctor
Textkit Member

Post by auctor »

Okay, thanks Will. In fact P seems to be running much more smoothly recently than in the past, by which I probably mean 'quicker to load search results'.
You're quite correct, I don't want to know anything computery too exactly. [/i]