Just...Why???

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Just...Why???

Post by Shine »

Hi :D Great and a very useful site multas gratias ago
I`m not sure how properly to ask a question :roll: but I was wondering:Why? Why somebody is interested in such thing??? What wind brought you an idea to read Iliad and Ceasar, Plato and Xenophon in original language???
I study Classics at University: Latin, Greek, Modern Greek, German...yeh
Learning those things gives you a lot, but also it takes a lot...
Sometimes I want to escape from all that, to read a normal book(not a dictionary!!!), go somewhere with a friends, or simply have a good sleep...
I was really surprised that so many people are interested in Latin and Ancient Greek-the languages, that are no more in use!!!
Just dont take me wrong I do like my studies, it`s just sometimes that...

mariek
Global Moderator

Welcome to Textkit!

Post by mariek »

Hi Shine! Welcome to Textkit!

I recently started learning Latin so I'm not quite ready to tackle real texts yet. I got started when my husband suggested learning Latin.

Don't forget to check out the grammas, readers, and e-books available for download on this site.

Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Welcome to Textkit!

Post by Shine »

mariek wrote:
Don't forget to check out the grammas, readers, and e-books available for download on this site.
Already did :D

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Why I started to learn Latin and Greek... there was a post somewhere... let me see... ahh, this is it: viewtopic.php?t=756
read my posts, then you'll know why I started.
And Shine, why are you interested in these languages? :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Latin, Greek, German Aaaaah!!!!!!!! Servate me!

Welcome! O crazy étudiant(e)!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hi, Shine, and welcome to Textkit.

I'm learning Classical Greek and Latin out of a sheer fascination with words and the way words go together-a fascination with language, if you like.

I also study French, my native language of English (there's always something new to learn!) and Gaelic, and sometimes Spanish. Sometimes it's so frustrating that I throw my books across the room (figuratively speaking, of course, since I believe in respecting books) and refuse to touch them for days. But a few days later, I'm back at it again, wading my way through enough accusatives and nominatives and vocatives and conjugations and declensions to drown a fish...

I guess I learn because I can't help it! :D

Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Shine »

Emma_85 wrote:And Shine, why are you interested in these languages? :)
I wasn`t extremely interested in Latin or Greek until I started study Classics :wink: before that I had no clear idea what those studies are about.
Just in school I was good at learning languages, and not that good at maths. And if You study Classics in Lithuania you can learn few more languages. I had English last year, now I have German and Modern Greek next year I`d like to study Italian.
Episcopus wrote:Welcome! O crazy étudiant(e)!
My native language probably would be Ukrainian but I finished Russian school and now because I live in Lithuania I study Latin (half of my friends think that it is just a waste of time) and Greek...in Lithuanian language...Yes, You can call me crazy :wink:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Knowing that I call you OFF IT. :shock:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

You're crazy! Welcome to the club! I'm crazy, too... :wink:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes, for speaking German; but you are not OFF IT.

Shine
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Shine »

Keesa wrote: Sometimes it's so frustrating that I throw my books across the room (figuratively speaking, of course, since I believe in respecting books) and refuse to touch them for :D
I know what do you meen, But most of my books are too heavy to throw, and some are so old, that I even afraid to touch them :D
Episcopus wrote:Knowing that I call you OFF IT.
:lol:
The more languages You know The easier it is to learn one more
I think German is quite a nice language, Why You don`t like it?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Shine wrote: I know what do you meen, But most of my books are too heavy to throw, and some are so old, that I even afraid to touch them :D
I have several like that! Mostly my really old books are in French, though, and beyond my reading level, so they don't get too much wear and tear...yet. :D

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

The one book I hate the most - the German Duden - is the one book I can't throw around. It's so worn out that I couldn't possibly find a way to put it back together again... well at least not with all the pages in the right order...
... the book's quite useless really, I should get myself something a bit better, but I can't really be asked. It's just for working out Thomas Mann (strange words) or German spelling :P .

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Wäre ich verrückter sein, genug um alles zu vernachlässigen außer griechischen zu lernen! :twisted:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

mingshey wrote:Wäre ich verrückter sein, genug um alles zu vernachlässigen außer griechischen zu lernen! :twisted:
My German is not up to snuff. Are you saying that if you were crazy enough, you would neglect everything except learning Greek?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

wenn ich eine gute Lehrerin hätte, kõnnte ich alles auf Deutsch sagen :cry:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Ich jedenfalls kann alles auf Deutsch sagen :P . Naja, sagen wir fast alles.
Mir wär's viel lieber ich hätten einen schlechteren Deutschlehrer, denn meiner ist viel zu gut. Er verlangt unmögliches von mir! Wir haben heute einen Test über den Inhalt des Buches Emilia Galotti von Lessing geschrieben. Meiner Meinung nach sollte es in einem Inhaltstest darum gehen, herauszufinden, ob ein Schüler das Buch nun gelesen hat oder nicht. Nicht, wie das bei meinem Lehrer der Fall ist, um zu sehen ob er es auswendig aufsagen kann!
Lol, ignoriert mich einfach, ich hab jetzt nur grad so viel geschrieben um Episcopus zu ärgern. Ich wette der wird jetzt nämlich versuchen alles zu übersetzten! :twisted:

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

There you go again...talking in a language I don't understand! :wink:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Emma_85 wrote: ich hab jetzt nur grad so viel geschrieben um Episcopus zu ärgern.

Ts, ts, ts. I would have thought you would have a more noble motive! :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Bert wrote:
mingshey wrote:Wäre ich verrückter sein, genug um alles zu vernachlässigen außer griechischen zu lernen! :twisted:
My German is not up to snuff. Are you saying that if you were crazy enough, you would neglect everything except learning Greek?
Hmm, if my german was correct, it would mean: "(I wish) I were crazier, enough to neglect everything except learning greek." But I think I had to omit the redundant "sein". :oops:

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

The one book I hate the most - the German Duden - is the one book I can't throw around.
Hey! The Duden is great...it's the German dictionary and you can't find any better one...(But you are completely right, it's only useful for native speakers 8) )
"(I wish) I were crazier, enough to neglect everything except learning greek."
Wenn du das sagen willst, musst du es ungefähr so ausdrücken:
"Ich wünschte, ich wäre verrückt genug, um alles außer Griechisch lernen zu vernachlässigen." :)

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Thanks, Clemens!

Time is another name for Lethe.