Textkit Logo

Hello

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Hello

Postby kyles978 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:52 am

I am a monolingual SAHM mother of two pre-school boys. I am planning on homeschooling and have just discovered classical education which brought me here.

I have always wanted to read the Bible in it's original language both Greek and Hebrew and now I am developing an interest in Latin as well. I don't have the time to attend classes or have assignments due but I would like to be able to study at my own pace.

So here I am, introducing myself, having a look around, and trying to find out what I need to learn to meet my goals.
kyles978
Textkit Neophyte

Postby MiguelM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Good luck with your endeavor! We'll be glad to help. :)

What resources are you using to learn?
MiguelM
Textkit Fan

Postby kyles978 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:50 pm

Currently none. As I said I'm just exploring. I have BYKI light for latin that I've been playing with, and I've found this site. As I said I haven't ever learnt a second language so all the talk about bilabial, and other phonetic terms is beyond me and I don't understand other grammar systems at all so I need something basic that will lead me through by the hand.

What language should I start with and can you recommend a text that will suit my complete lack of experience with languages?

Thanks
kyles978
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Amadeus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:48 pm

Salve, Kyles!

Here's a good link that'll introduce the basic grammar concepts you need before studying Latin, and then point you in the right direction when it comes to choosing the best textbook. http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~wcd/Latin.htm

Welcome and good luck! :wink:
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.
Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Postby thesaurus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Amadeus wrote:Salve, Kyles!
Here's a good link that'll introduce the basic grammar concepts you need before studying Latin, and then point you in the right direction when it comes to choosing the best textbook. http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~wcd/Latin.htm

One question: why does the author of that page keep refering to "all four volumes" of Lingua Latina? I'm not sure what others there are besides "Familia Romana" and "Roma Aeterna."
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Amadeus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:39 pm

thesaurus wrote:One question: why does the author of that page keep refering to "all four volumes" of Lingua Latina? I'm not sure what others there are besides "Familia Romana" and "Roma Aeterna."

Hmmm... I hadn't seen that. I don't know which 4 volumes he is referring to, but just buying Familia Romana with its Exercitia Latina I should be enough to start with.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.
Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Postby MiguelM » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:42 pm

I always assumed that the course's core was Volume I&II and Exercitia I&II, making 4 volumes. I could be wrong, and he could be refering to any of the supplements.
MiguelM
Textkit Fan

Return to Open Board