Textkit Logo

Ancient Greek music

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Ancient Greek music

Postby Ptahhotep » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:22 am

This site is excellent http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/<br />Someone has already mentioned a part of this site here, the Classical pronunciation I think, but not the music :). Just listen to "Demodokos' song about Ares and Aphrodite", played on the four-stringed phorminx, under the Homeric singing section. It's quite mysterious :) I wish I knew Greek so I could understand what they were saying though. ;D
phpbb
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Ancient Greek music

Postby benissimus » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:47 am

(deleted)
Last edited by benissimus on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re:Ancient Greek music

Postby chad » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:47 am

you should be able to follow this song once you know the first line (which isn't in the odyssey).<br /><br />it's:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]a)/rxeo Mou=sa ge/lwtos o(\s a)qana/toisin e)nw=rto[/face]<br /><br />"Begin, Muse, of the laughter that rose among the undying".<br /><br />Stefan Hagel told me by email that he changed it because:<br /><br />"In the Odyssee, the poet Homer introduces the song of the fictive singer-poet by "but he, playing the phorminx, preluded to sing beautifully, about the love of...". In the following, the indirect speech is shifted to something like full quotation, or replaced by direct narration. I wanted to use the lay of Ares and Aphrodite as a song taken out of its context in the Odyssee, so I have changed the first line to a typical opening, with an invocation of the Muse".<br /><br />After that line, go to Odyssey Book 8 line 267 and read away.<br /><br />Hope that helps, cheers, chad. :)
phpbb
chad
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ancient Greek music

Postby Paul Derouda » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:36 am

Thanks! Gelwtos makes more sense than g' erwtos.

Yes I suppose I could ask those scholars directly, but I have not dared until now...
Paul Derouda
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board