Curses!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
benissimus
Global Moderator

Curses!

Post by benissimus »

The Open Board has today surpassed the Latin Board in posts. I think it's because all of those crazy off-topic posts are no more.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Re:Curses!

Post by mariek »

<br />Is this a hint that we should be working harder on studying our Latin? ::)<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

That's a good thing, Benissimus...remember? We don't want off-topic posts. We've all been trying really hard to avoid them! ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Yeah, I suppose it is a good thing. But how come no strangers ever come around asking for translations anymore? And yes, Marie, I haven't been seeing very much homework out of you! We may have to have a parent-teacher conference :o
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=692;start=0#6612 date=1064357400]<br />We've all been trying really hard to avoid them! ;) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, I've noticed that. And I'm sure Jeff appreciates the effort...<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=692;start=0#6613 date=1064357563]<br /> We may have to have a parent-teacher conference :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Parent-teacher? You're younger than I am! ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That is just your opinion.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=692;start=0#6613 date=1064357563]<br />And yes, Marie, I haven't been seeing very much homework out of you! We may have to have a parent-teacher conference :o<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Yes, I've been slacking for the last month or so. Other things came up, and then there was having to deal with the "fallout" of those things. But I'm trying to get back in the saddle.<br /><br />I actually have A LOT of questions to ask. I just don't post them all because I wouldn't want you guys to get sick of all my questions. Ya, that's the reason.... ;)<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ask away. I'm bored as a phallovitrobolus lately!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Ahhh! Stop it! I can't find the definition...that's not nice! <br /><br />I am not asking any one to post the definition, but how do I go about finding it?!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Here's the link on Perseus: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform<br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Thanks! <br /><br />I've got it now. <br /><br />I think they're rather interesting, Benissimus. :P

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

And how did you come across this word, benissimus? I assume you weren't wondering, now I wonder what the Latin would be for ....

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I make sure to learn all of the "interesting" words when learning a new language ;)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

"To really learn a word, you must read the word and the definition three times, then say the word aloud three times, then use it in a sentence three times." <br /><br />Can you use it in three sentences yet? ;)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Mariek gave the Latin forum a lively slap across the face. Now, however, with her being a moderator she posts not many topics.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=6;threadid=692;start=0#6716 date=1064405474]<br />"To really learn a word, you must read the word and the definition three times, then say the word aloud three times, then use it in a sentence three times." <br /><br />Can you use it in three sentences yet? ;)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Phallovitrobolo in manu Cornelius a mensa discessit et iratus e casa contendit.<br />With phallovitrobolus in hand, Cornelius left from the table angry and marched out of the house.<br /><br />"Raia," inquit Episcopus, "in phallovitrobolo spem habe."<br />"Raya," said Episcopus, "have faith in the phallovitrobolus."<br /><br />Quam iucundi sunt phallovitroboli cum missi quem amas a puella.<br />How pleasant are phallovitroboli, when sent by the girl whom you love.<br /><br />__________________________________________________<br /><br />What do you say, do I know the word yet? ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

:claps enthusiastically: Wonderful! Very good! :)<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Somehow I'm reminded of the bottle of oil joke in Aristophanes' The Frogs.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

*laughing her head off*<br /><br />Yep bingley - likewise!<br /><br />And why should I have faith in the phallovitrobolus?<br />(Perhaps I don't want to know...) ;D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hey, it's hard enough to make up sentences for a word when the word (not to mention the sentences!) is in English...I think he did very well!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

What is that word! <br /><br />I would to that for words of many meanings but I am usually too tired and pressed for time.<br /><br />Like sumo, sumere, sumpsi, sumptus - to assume; take up (arms).<br /><br />And why is supplicium dare to suffer punishment! <br /><br />Sorry random groans :-X<br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Losing it, were you, Raya? ;)