Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
madhg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by madhg »

Hello all,

I did 2 years of Greek at school and enjoyed it. I've been reading various translations of Homer over the years (admiring the Iliad and thoroughly enjoying the Odyssey). I retired from full-time work some years ago, and recently learnt about an excellent adult-education class in ancient Greek in Bristol UK, and took it for three terms, a weekly class of 90 minutes with homework taking an hour or two. Occasionally three. The focus is on reading Greek literature, not writing Greek (do I remember struggling as a schoolboy with Greek Prose Composition by ?? North & Hillard or Hillard & Botting??)

Over the summer I've started to consolidate my weak knowledge of grammar by working through Carl Ruck's "Ancient Greek", 2nd edition, which I think is excellent; have got as far as p. 27 out of 250 - not very far. I don't know of any key to this book, and will occasionally post questions about passages I find hard. I look forward to spending some time on the forum - though my time is limited.

best wishes to all,
David

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: New member

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, David!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

As I just said in another post, I can't imagine a better retirement hobby. Makes me wonder what I'm going to do when the time comes (if it ever does). Maybe Sanskrit? :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

madhg
Textkit Neophyte

Post by madhg »

Thank you both for your friendly replies. As for hobbies - well, since retiring from full-time work I've become a part-time teacher (maths) for the Open University, and continue to play early keyboards (harpsichord, clavichord). Greek is different enough from both of those things to be refreshing! The worlds of math and music are wide open for you when you retire, Barry!