Goth at the Gate

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
DayRaven
Textkit Neophyte

Goth at the Gate

Post by DayRaven »

Greetings from Britannia, my name is DayRaven (alright it ain't, but it sounds more mysterious and sexy than Keith or John or Malcolm).

My linguistic interests mainly lie in old Germanic languages. I have been working (on and off) on translating Beowulf and several of the "elegiac" poems in Old English and several of the poems from the Old Norse Poetic Edda. I've learned some Gothic and mourn the fact that there is no poem of the Goths triumph over Valens or Alaric's holiday in Rome. I have a long time interest in the classical languages and usually find myself migrating between the northern and southern tongues as my mood takes me. This year, though, I decided to study Latin intensively with a view to reading several of the Latin historians (Ammianus, Jordanes, Bede) and Boethius. I'm hoping to tackle Homeric Greek as well if life (or death) don't intervene first.

Right I'm off to model for more Greek statues.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Goth at the Gate

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!