Textkit Logo

Tribute to Glenn Hoddle!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Tribute to Glenn Hoddle!

Postby Episcopus » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:45 pm

I don't know it in latin (probably Quam homo or hominem or something - someone!) so I'll just say it in french:<br /><br />Quel homme!<br /><br /><br />Glenn Hoddle is the former manager of the England football team. He was sacked thence for his comment regarding disabled people: "You and I have arms and legs and half decent brains; [disabled people are thus] because of bad karma working from another life". Debateable indeed!<br /><br /><br />Well, onto the bone of the topic: Glenn Hoddle after the England job worked at Tottenham Hotspur (English football club) as manager. This season especially they have been doing terribly! Very close to bottom of the table, so Glenn Hoddle although formerly one of Spurs' best players was sacked (or fired if you b'american). <br /><br />I noticed in a news report that Spurs' badge has an interesting motto on itself. A few other clubs as I have recently discovered have also latin mottones ;)<br /><br />And this, in my opinion, is great! It goes thus:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]Audère est Facere[/face][/size]<br /><br />which as I hopefully understand is "To venture out is to accomplish" in Latin's typical ambiguity!<br /><br />However I rename it as:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]Daring is Doing[/face][/size] <br /><br />which I love! A rather bizarre random post but latin is everywhere, more than one may think! It helps already and I am not too good at it yet! Although yes the declensions = sorted! <br /><br /><br /> <br /><br />
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Re:Tribute to Glenn Hoddle!

Postby Emma_85 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:18 pm

Ahh... you have a new sig :)<br /><br />I don't really watch football myself, only the word cup. It's so boring now that they banned players from taking off their shirts! What idiots ... that was the only reason I watched the game ;)
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby benissimus » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:07 pm

Actually, you can translate infinitives like that in certain cases. "Daring is doing" is an accurate translation. So would "To dare is to accomplish".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keesa » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:20 pm

I like it. I don't care for football (and not because they don't let them take off their shirts!!) but I like the quote.
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby bingley » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:54 am

Emma >>It's so boring now that they banned players from taking off their shirts! What idiots ... that was the only reason I watched the game<<<br /><br />I'm certainly not going to sit through a whole game just on the offchance somebody's going to take his shirt off, but somebody else at home did have the Premier League on the other night and I noticed as I was passing through the sitting room that one of the players who had just scored had taken his shirt off. The linesman seemed to be trying to stop him from diving into the crowd. As I have no idea who was playing all I can tell you is that it was a black man with a shaven head and very muscular chest.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby benissimus » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:22 am

That sure narrows it down Bingley. :P
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:48 am

Sheesh.<br /><br />black man<br />shaven head<br />muscular chest<br />no shirt<br />scored a goal (with a header)<br />being headed off from jumping into the crowd by a linesman<br /><br />There can't have been that many.<br />
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Keesa » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:32 am

Can't there? ;) <br /><br />But they all look alike to me, anyway.
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby Emma_85 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:49 pm

It wasn't Thierry Henry by any chance, was it? A french guy, who plays for Arsenal, or maybe Ashley Cole or Patrick Vieira?(also Arsenal) <br />Or Rio Ferdinand? Now there's a player, who should be made to take off his shirt every match!<br /><br />...I could go on and on... but it would be more helpful if I knew which club or when exactly the game was...
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:12 pm

I didn't hear him speak, so I've no idea what nationality he was. The match was played in England over the weekend some time, and the shirt he was holding after having taken it off was light blue. It was on ESPN. Does that help? I really don't take much notice of football so for all I know it could have been any of those you mentioned. I'll ask one of the women at work tomorrow who might have been paying more attention.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Emma_85 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:16 pm

The thing is they don't show those matches here, only the German clubs or European games, of course (and nearly all of their players are really ugly for some reason.)
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Episcopus » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:11 pm

You should watch Italian football! The football players are "playaz". And descendants of Romans. <br /><br />I love it when there are great fights in football games; that's what we pay money for really! And they try to stamp it out :'(<br /><br />Despite my now laughably slow Latin progress (due to fatigue, insanely adundant school work etc.) I know that audere is special :D
phpbb
Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Open Board