Introducing new member Akalovid

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
akalovid
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing new member Akalovid

Post by akalovid »

ΧΑΙΡΕΤΕ!

My name is Angelos. I grew up on mount ΠΗΛΙΟΝ and lived there until coming of age. I had some education in Ancient Greek, albeit not the profoundest kind, because in the ΛΥΚΕΙΟΝ I chose the ΘΕΤΙΚΗ ΚΑΤΕΥΘΥΝΣΗ to become a physicist.

Then I went to Germany to study astrophysics. I took a lot of classics with me, but my studies really challenged me, so I neglected my Ancient Greek and eventually forgot a great deal thereof. Unfortunately I never learnt Latin because I had to attend the mathematics course during the time when the ΘΕΩΡΗΤΙΚΗ learnt Latin.

Lately I have been trying to resurrect my Ancient Greek. I read many of my books and use online resources. I can translate and enjoy some parts, but I have forgotten a lot about syntax and grammar, especially where it differs from modern or biblical Greek.

I am hoping for your guidance and I will try to help with modern Greek, although I have been away from Greece for 15 years already and people start saying I sound old fashioned.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Introducing new member Akalovid

Post by jeidsath »

Welcome! There are more physicists turned classicists here than you would think at first.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com