Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lange123
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lange123 »

Χαίρετε ὦ φίλοι τῆς ἑλληνικῆς γλώττης:

It has been five years now that I started to learn Ancient Greek. In the beginning it was only to prepare for
the study of art history, my project for the time I take retirement as a radiologist. Soon it took more time than expected because of growing interest on my behalf. Last year I made my "Graecum"(GCSE?). And now I feel torn because with the help of translations and Perseus it is possible for me to translate Homer to some extent, on the other hand ever so often I can not grasp the meaning of many simple sentences even in greek textbooks, let alone Platos dialogues. Nevertheless I try my best and learn vocabulary items each day, meanwhile I use more than 3000 flash cards. Maybe Textkit gives the right kick to read some ancient texts fluently? That would be my aim.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: New member

Post by jeidsath »

Welcome!

What you are trying to do is certainly possible. Please feel free to start some threads further describing your approach and asking for comments. There is plenty of useful material here as well.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com