Introduction: MrPisky

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
MrPisky
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction: MrPisky

Post by MrPisky »

Hello,
I am a student of the bible and as such have an interest in learning more about Koine Greek. I have come to this forum with a specific desire to inquire about certain passages in particular as they pertain to doctrinal and eschatological issues in which I am deeply interested.

I recently purchased a set of Greek flash cards as well as some Greek grammar materials. Unfortunately, I have not had the time available to delve into actually learning Greek as I would love to. Therefore, I would like to post some questions to those who are more knowledgeable about Koine Greek to gain a better understanding of usage in certain passages. I will post my threads in the appropriate forum. I am very much interested in finding someone who would be willing to do some consulting and provide a written opinion that could be used as support for grammatical arguments, but I'll take what I can get. :)

Kind regards!

Paul

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Introduction: MrPisky

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit!

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

There is also B-Greek, a forum specifically devoted to biblical Greek:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/forum/ind ... 24cd1feadb
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I happen to think that our Koine forum is pretty good, actually.

Biblical Greek is really a misnomer. New Testament Greek was the normal Greek of that time and place, and the NT can best be understood by taking it in context with the body of Greek literature, rather than extracted from its natural habitat and placed on a specimen slide.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

MrPisky
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MrPisky »

Thank you one and all, I appreciate the helpful responses! :D

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

jeidsath wrote:I happen to think that our Koine forum is pretty good, actually.

Biblical Greek is really a misnomer. New Testament Greek was the normal Greek of that time and place, and the NT can best be understood by taking it in context with the body of Greek literature, rather than extracted from its natural habitat and placed on a specimen slide.
I often make a similar point, that biblical Greek needs to be understood from this broader context (and so I encourage people to read as much extra-biblical Greek as possible including the non-literary papyri), but it's still a justifiable designation for the body of literature comprising the New Testament, the Septuagint, and closely related writings such as the Didache and the sub-apostolic fathers. These share sufficiently unique features that warrant a sub-category. "Biblical Greek" should be understood more as a literary designation than as a language distinction, although particularly in the realm of semantics one is going to see specialized meanings. ὀ θεός will normally mean quite something else to someone headed to Delphi than to one of the authors of the NT documents...

Mentioning the B-Greek forum is not meant in any way to disparage the Textkit forums, which are outstanding, but to provide yet another resource for the interested student.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...