Another Greekless Fly-By-Night Newbie

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Dura Europos Kid
Textkit Neophyte

Another Greekless Fly-By-Night Newbie

Post by Dura Europos Kid »

Greetings !!

I have been a part time student of ancient history for a little while and an amateur historian for the last 12 years stumbling around in the dark of Greek inscriptions and papyri fragments. I joined this forum to get some advice on a number of Greek language issues relating to my studies.

The first one involves one of the graffiti inscriptions from Dura Europos. I am happy to provide pics, and share whatever research that I have accumulated about this item. I'd like to explore any alternative reconstructions, emendations and translations of this [partial] inscription that anyone here would be happy to offer. I must admit to being stone cold Greekless, and would therefore count it as a big favour to receive the opinions from the members of this forum on this issue to start with.

Which forum would be the appropriate one to ask this question, to provide the details of this inscription and to receive advice from first principles on the Greek words that may lie behind it. It is partial, so some guesswork obviously must be conducted.

Anyway, compliments of the season to one and all.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Another Greekless Fly-By-Night Newbie

Post by jeidsath »

Welcome! I suggest that you post your questions to the Learning Greek forum.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com