ἡ ἐμὴ σύστασις

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Bryson
Textkit Neophyte

ἡ ἐμὴ σύστασις

Post by Bryson »

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Bryson; I'm a PhD student in Classics. I'm very interested in writing, speaking, and listening to ancient Greek, whether Attic or a more generalized educated koine.

I wanted to ask if anyone on this forum knows of a text-to-speech program for Greek (on a Mac) that uses the Erasmian pronunciation, or something similar to it. I have several voices for modern Greek, but I'd really love something closer to how ancient Greek is taught in schools. If no one has found such a program, I wonder if there would be interest among the members of this forum to request a Greek voice using the classical or erasmian pronunciation from one of the major text-to-speech providers. Because of the rules of this forum I can't suggest which company we'd right to, but I think if enough people individually wrote requesting an ancient Greek voice, we might have success. If we started a new thread for this, we could figure out which company we think we should write to with our communal request.

Thanks,

Bryson

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: ἡ ἐμὴ σύστασις

Post by bedwere »

Hello, Bryson, and welcome on board. eSpeak lists Ancient Greek (grc) among the provisional languages.

Bryson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bryson »

Dear bedwere,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if espeak can be used on a mac? I've downloaded the files but, alas, am not technologicaly savy.

In another vein, I've noticed you've done a lot of Greek composition. May I ask what your background is and your interest in Greek?

Thanks,

Bryson

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Good morning, Bryson.

I'm a Linux guy, but they seem to have a Mac OSX version:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/espeak/ ... 04-OSX.zip

I'm Italian but I live in sunny San Diego. I studied Latin in high school years ago, but I started to learn Greek on my own in the 2000s. It's a must for any educated gentleman! :D

Bryson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bryson »

Did you by chance attend the Greek σύνοδος in Kentucky recently? A friend of mine, Alex Petkas, was there.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Bryson wrote:Did you by chance attend the Greek σύνοδος in Kentucky recently? A friend of mine, Alex Petkas, was there.
I did! I blogged about it and wrote also here on Textkit. I was already acquainted with Alex, but was glad to find him there.

Bryson
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bryson »

I wish I could have attended; I'm planning on it next year!

Also, thank you again for the espeak link; unfortunately the plug for Macs appears to be disfunctional.