Introducing myself

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Maremagna
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing myself

Post by Maremagna »

***Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I may have deleted the original post by mistake (my apologies if this is a duplicate post).***

My favorite thing in the world is language, in particular, etymology-- a confessed language junkie. My native language is Spanish (I was born and raised in Peru), but I'm also fluent in English (or so I think) and rusty in French ( I used to be fluent many, many years ago, before I moved to the US). I am also learning (sometimes) Portuguese and (sometimes) German. In the past, I've dabbled in Polish, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Persian, and pursue many other interests besides language... I'm afraid I'm not the most focused person in the world (haha) and consistency, certainly, is not my strong suit, but I've learned to live with myself (at least, I'm seldom bored). So now I'm just dabbling in Latin and I look forward to having much fun learning, and if I can help and be helped, that's even better!

Quick questions:

1) Which is the board where I could post simple questions (e.g., basic level vocabulary and/or phrase translation)?
2) As I still don't have an answer for my first question, perhaps you can help me with this one: Is this translation accurate? "Noli audere meum cibum edere" for "Don't you dare to eat my food"? I thank you in advance for any corrections or additional input I get.

Have a lovely day (and weekend!)!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Introducing myself

Post by bedwere »

Hi and welcome!

1) You may post your general questions about Latin in the Learning Latin forum.
2) Grammatically OK.

Maremagna
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Maremagna »

Thank you for your prompt reply, bedwere! :-)

idoneus1957
Textkit Neophyte

Post by idoneus1957 »

Etymology: it's the top!
I was shocked recently, when I was examining a college English dictionary, and realized that the entries had no etymologies. None. The culture keeps getting dumbed down. That is the only part of the entry I use, since I already know all the words in the language :-)
I am not content with a tracing back to Latin or Greek. I can go back that far myself. I want the word traced all the way back to a swirling cloud of dust and gases.
I own a copy of the unabridged American Heritage dictionary, which is very good for etymologies.
I had 4 years of French in high school, two years of Spanish, and two of Latin. My father warned me that if I took Latin, French, and Spanish simultaneously, I wouldn't know whether I was coming or going, but I survived. Only, my Spanish teacher told me that I spoke Spanish with a French accent.
Is my memory deceiving me, or did people, once upon a time, pronounce the S on the end of Spanish words?

idoneus1957
Textkit Neophyte

Post by idoneus1957 »

Me again. I was going to add that languages are like peanuts: You can't eat just one.