How to type in Greek on a MacBook?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

How to type in Greek on a MacBook?

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

Hi, I just wondered if anyone could help - I would like to type in Ancient Greek on my laptop (which is a MacBook, if that makes any difference), for example in Google (I've already figured out how to type in Word) and on this forum? Currently I can only use a Greek keyboard on my mobile devices because I've installed keyboards on them, but am not sure how to do this on a mac.
Thanks in advance

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: How to type in Greek on a MacBook?

Post by jeidsath »

1) Go to Language and Region in settings.

2) Click Keyboard Preferences and add "Greek Polytonic" -- the "Polytonic" is important.

3) Make sure "Show input menu in menu bar" is checked

The flag at the top of your screen will now let you switch to Greek input mode. Use the "Show Keyboard Viewer" mode to get used to the letters.

4) Optional. In Keyboard Preferences above, click "Shortcuts" and go to "Input Sources". Set up a keyboard shortcut for "select next source in input menu."
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

jeidsath wrote:1) Go to Language and Region in settings.

2) Click Keyboard Preferences and add "Greek Polytonic" -- the "Polytonic" is important.

3) Make sure "Show input menu in menu bar" is checked

The flag at the top of your screen will now let you switch to Greek input mode. Use the "Show Keyboard Viewer" mode to get used to the letters.

4) Optional. In Keyboard Preferences above, click "Shortcuts" and go to "Input Sources". Set up a keyboard shortcut for "select next source in input menu."
Thank you so much! :D

Dante
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dante »

then go here and have some fun!:

http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

Dante wrote:then go here and have some fun!:

http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/
Wow, thanks for posting this... Some stunning fonts here.