Conventiculum Graecum ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Conventiculum Graecum ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ

Post by bedwere »

ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ

Anyone with at least intermediate knowledge of ancient Greek and an interest in developing active competence in the language is invited to the first σύνοδος ἑλληνική at the University of Kentucky, modeled on the well-known Latin conventicula organized by Professor Terence Tunberg since 1996. From July 12-19, 2017, we will use ancient Greek as an active language of communication to talk about everyday objects and events and to discuss selections from a wide variety of ancient Greek texts. This sort of immersion experience will benefit a variety of ancient Greek users: students who wish to read ancient Greek more quickly and without automatically producing an English translation; teachers who wish to introduce oral and/or aural ancient Greek into their classrooms; and anyone who wishes to encounter ancient Greek in a way that might be different from his or her previous experiences.

Organizers: Dr. Christophe Rico (Polis Institute, Jerusalem) and Stephen Hill (MA, University of Kentucky). Dr. Rico is the founder and director of the Polis Institute, Jerusalem, which runs regular courses in ancient Greek as a living language during the academic year in Jerusalem and intensive courses in a variety of countries during the summer. He has also written the textbook Polis: Speaking Greek as a Living Language. Stephen Hill has taught summer courses in spoken ancient Greek for the Polis Institute at the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross in Rome and at Ave Maria University in Florida. He holds an MA in Classics from the University of Kentucky and an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (N.B.: Dr. Rico’s participation will depend on the number of registrations received.)

Schedule: The σύνοδος will begin on 12 July 2017 and end on 19 July 2017. On the first day, a reception will be held at 6PM at which any language may be used: not only Greek but also Latin, English, etc. Beginning the following day, participants are requested to use only Greek during the sessions. From 13 to 19 July, sessions will be held each day from about 9 to 5 with two short breaks in the morning and afternoon and one longer break for lunch.

Activities: All sessions will focus on developing an active command of ancient Greek. Some sessions will be devoted to talking about everyday objects and events, some to writing Greek, and still others to reading and discussing ancient Greek texts in Greek.

Preparation: At least four weeks in advance, a packet of materials will be sent to participants containing some Greek texts. Because a variety of interests will be represented among participants, these texts will be drawn from a variety of periods and genres.

Prerequisites: It is not necessary to have experience in speaking ancient Greek. Participants should, however, have completed at least two years of ancient Greek grammar at the university level or equivalent. Accordingly, they should have a reasonable grasp of basic morphology and syntax and be able to read unadapted Greek texts with the aid of a dictionary. Experienced readers (and/or speakers) of ancient Greek are most welcome.

Travelling to Lexington: by air, the easiest way to reach Lexington is the city’s Blue Grass Airport, a twenty-minute drive from campus. It is also possible to fly into Louisville or Cincinnati, although this makes transportation to Lexington more difficult to arrange. By car, Lexington is easily accessed via I-75 and I-64.

Meals in Lexington: Our sessions are located on the campus of the University of Kentucky, near a wide variety of restaurants and university cafeterias.

Lodging: Participants may make their own arrangements with a local hotel or take advantage of the less expensive rooms offered through the university’s student housing. These rooms are also quite close to the location of the sessions. In 2016, a shared student suite cost about $40.00 per night; individual occupancy of an entire suite cost about $80.00 per night. Suites include a bathroom and a small kitchen. Payment for university housing is made directly to the university housing administrators, not to the organizers of the σύνοδος.

Registration: Participation in the σύνοδος requires a modest fee of $100 (this does not include accomodation or meals). To register, please send an email expressing your interest to Stephen Hill at rstephenhill at gmail dot com.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Conventiculum Graecum ΣΥΝΟΔΟΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ

Post by Markos »

This sounds like a great opportunity, and more reasonably priced than similar events in the past. Rico and Hill come highly recommended. I am going to look into attending myself.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Amplaos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amplaos »

Lucky American bastards... well, if I can't make it to this one, I guess I'll just go to Greece instead and practice my Modern Greek as well as 'raid' the βιβλιοπωλεία.

Ὦ Μᾶρκε, εἰ οὐκ οἶδα πῶς δυνήσομαι ἐλθεῖν, μάλιστα ἡδέως λαλοίμι ἄν μετὰ σοῦ 'στόμα πρὸς στόμα', ὡς λέγει ἡ Γραφή!
Ῥήθεντα ὑπὸ τοῦ μεγάλου ῥήτορος Δονάλδου Τρᾶμπ·

"Ἡμᾶς μὲν δεῖ τεῖχος οἰκοδομῆσαι, αὐτὸ δὲ ταχέως οἰκοδομηθῆναι."
"Συνίημι τοὺς λόγους. Ἔχω δὴ τοὺς ἀρίστους λόγους."
"Ὀλίγόν μοι ἐδανείσεν ὁ πατήρ, ἑκατομύριον δολάρια."
"Μοι δὲ ἀρέσκουσι οἱ μὴ ζωγρηθέντες."

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Yesterday I registered for the meeting. Who is coming?

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote:Yesterday I registered for the meeting. Who is coming?
Bedwere's presence at the event makes it all the more exciting.

I regret that I won't be attending. I'll be there ἐν πνέυματος.
Amplaos wrote:Ὦ Μᾶρκε, εἰ οὐκ οἶδα πῶς δυνήσομαι ἐλθεῖν, μάλιστα ἡδέως λαλοίμι ἄν μετὰ σοῦ 'στόμα πρὸς στόμα', ὡς λέγει ἡ Γραφή!
γένοιτο δὴ τοῦτο, ἢ ἐπὶ γῆς ἢ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ τῷ ἐρχομένῳ.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Is anyone else from Textkit besides Roberto and Stephen going? Hopefully, someone will make some videos.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I'll be there.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote:Yesterday I registered for the meeting. Who is coming?
jeidsath wrote:I'll be there.
Do try to take some videos. Most helpful to me at this point is off-the-cuff chatting, as opposed to the more structured instructions.

Looking forward to a report when you get back, or if you have time, dispatches from the gathering.

ἀπολαύοιτε τοῦ Ἑλληνίζειν.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Today at the Arboretum

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote:Image
Today at the Arboretum
τὴν φωτογραφίαν ἰδὼν ἥδομαι δὴ ἔγωγε. αὕτη γὰρ πολλοὺς φίλους δείκνυσι. τὸν Ῥοβέρτω λέγω καὶ Ἰώηλ καὶ Χριστόφορον καὶ Στέφανον κ.τ.λ. χλωρὰ δὲ τὰ δένδρα. καλὴ δὲ χώρα Κεντυκία ἐστίν. ἔρρωσθε.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Ἰδού, ὦ βέλτιστε, ἡ κινηματογραφή.

Ἐπισκοποῦμεν τὸ τῆς τέχνης μουσεῖον

Ἔρρωσο.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

bedwere wrote:Ἰδού, ὦ βέλτιστε, ἡ κινηματογραφή.

Ἐπισκοποῦμεν τὸ τῆς τέχνης μουσεῖον

Ἔρρωσο.
χάριν οἶδά σοι θέντι ταύτην, φίλτατε. ὡς δὲ μάλιστα καλὸν ἰδεῖν τὸν Χριστόφορον Ἑλληνιστὶ λαλοῦντα. σύγε καλῶς Ἑλληνίζεις, ὡς ἀεί. ἐγέλασα δ' ὅτε σὺ εἶπας τὸ μισῶ τὴν νεωτέραν τέχνην. :lol: (6:00) καλῶς δ' Ἰώηλ εἶπε περὶ τὴν φωτογραφίαν τὴν δείκηυντα τὴν ψυχηρίαν. (16:55) καλῶς δ' εἶπας ἐπὶ τοῦ 38:50 τὸ πορνή, ἴσως.

ἄλλας κινηματοργραφὰς θὲς ἡμῖν, σχολῆς σοι οὔσης.

ἔρρωσο!

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

A couple of questions for Roberto and Joel:

1. I noticed that Gaza's L2 Iliad paraphrase was part of the reading list. How was that used?
2. How did you guys handle the various proforai?
3. Did the week feel like hard work? Was it mentally draining?
3. Bottom line: How much do you think the week improved your reading fluency?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

1. We didn't use it. Maybe next year?
2. All pronunciations were welcome, as Christophe Rico made clear introducing the meeting. But the majority used Erasmian with minor variations. I was able to speak with Jonathan of B-Greek without much trouble.
3. Personally, I wanted hard work and was pleased with it, but I wouldn't call it mentally draining. We ended up with a rhetorical competition, which went quite nice. If it had been draining, we would not have been able to do it.
4. This is something hard to measure. Our speaking fluency clearly improved. That should trickle down to reading.

All in all, 10 out of 10.

PS

Notice also that we were divided in two groups according to experience. If one felt overwhelmed with the level of the higher group, he could transfer to the lower.

opoudjis
Textkit Member

Post by opoudjis »

Amplaos wrote:well, if I can't make it to this one, I guess I'll just go to Greece instead and practice my Modern Greek as well as 'raid' the βιβλιοπωλεία.
http://www.andromedabooks.gr

You can thank me later. :-) It's an astonishing place, and very centrally located too.

(For Early Modern and Modern Greek, you want to go to https://www.miet.gr/bookstore/ instead.)