Please allow me to introduce myself

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by cramberepetita »

Hello, per the forum rules I will introduce myself and try my best not to come across as an odd-ball.
I have been marginally aware of this forum's existence for years, but for whatever reason have never joined. Now I have a specific question I'd like to ask, so here I am after all. Looking at the board a little more closely, maybe I will have cause to regret not joining sooner.
My name is David Bauwens, I'm 36, I'm married, I live in Ghent, Belgium. I teach Latin and Greek in highschool, or at least that's what I do whenever I'm offered the chance. More specifically I'm a substitute teacher who in twelve years time hasn't managed to secure a steady job, due to budget cuts, dwindling interest in the Classics, and sheer bad luck. I was lucky enough to teach Caesar and Xenophon these last few months, but starting tomorrow I have to make do with six hours a week of teaching Dutch to 12-year-olds. Are there any board rules against excessive whining?
For a couple of months now I have been running a blog called Crambe Repetita. I would link to it, but board rules expressly forbid it. Maybe just add dot-com and see what happens. Its aims are modest: just a Latin or Greek quote each day (not necessarily an edifying one), with translation. I like it because it forces me to look at all kinds of texts all the time, including types I wouldn't normally be all that attracted to.
My mother tongue is Dutch (Flemish). I can read and speak/write fairly well in English (I think?) and, to a slightly lesser degree, French. I understand a lot more German than I can speak. Apart from Latin and Greek, which I started studying at the ages of 12 and 13 respectively, I have dabbled at various times and with wildly varying degrees of success in Italian, Japanese and Norwegian. I'm also interested in historical linguistics, lots of different kinds of music, and film. Oh, and I play squash.
I hope this will suffice, thanks for having me!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, David!

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

So as not to deprive Textkit of a nice Greek and Latin extracts blog: Crambe Repetita
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cramberepetita »

Thanks! :)

rothbard
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rothbard »

Welcome David. Ghent is a lovely city. Nice blog, by the way!