Native OSX ancient greek dictionary and spellchecker

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bcdavasconcelos
Textkit Neophyte

Native OSX ancient greek dictionary and spellchecker

Post by bcdavasconcelos »

Hello everyone,

I was unsure where to post this. If this is not the appropriate place, I apologize.

I was searching around for the possibility of adding a native ancient greek dictionary to OSX. I didn't succeed, but after doing some research I noticed it shouldn't be too hard setting up one. Others have done it for other languages (several unoffical native dictionaries for osx are available here http://clasquin-johnson.co.za/michel/ma ... tionaries/).

Has anyone tried doing such a thing?
Also, what would it take for us to have a native, or at least a browser-based, ancient greek spellchecker?
ζητοῦσι δ' ὅλως οὐ τὸ πάτριον ἀλλὰ τἀγαθὸν πάντες (Pol. II.8 1269a3)

brainout
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Native OSX ancient greek dictionary and spellchecker

Post by brainout »

You might want to talk to the Bibleworks people. They have a lively group of folks creating add-ons for all kinds of things, including for Apple and Linux. I'm not keen on how they pronounce the Greek words in BW's own flashcard module, but they have those as well. They also have a dictionary (actually many, some purchasable as modules), plus you can create your own text. I would think you could adapt it to hold any classics, too.

But I've never tried to create one, so would beg you ask them at http://www.bibleworks.com .

As for a spellchecker as you type, I don't know of one, but maybe someone in their community will know of one.

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

bcdavasconcelos wrote:Also, what would it take for us to have a native, or at least a browser-based, ancient greek spellchecker?
This is pretty straightforward in OS X, I found. Download the ancient Greek language support file for LibreOffice, rename the .oxt extension to .zip, then extract the .aff and .dic files contained in the .zip file.

Copy these two files to ~/Library/Spelling/ on your Mac.

Log out and back on again.

You should now be able to check spelling in ancient Greek system-wide. I've found that I sometimes have to specify the language – for some reason, my system doesn't always recognise Greek automatically from the other ones I use.

bcdavasconcelos
Textkit Neophyte

@Brainout, thank you for the advice, I will do that.

@Truks, I also found this advice somewhere on the web. However, it simply doesn't work here. I see the language in the Settings but for some reason wrong words don't get highlighted and I don't get any suggestions for incorrect ones. I have tried specifying the language to no avail.

Which version of the OSX are you using?

truks
Textkit Member

Post by truks »

bcdavasconcelos wrote:@Truks, I also found this advice somewhere on the web. However, it simply doesn't work here. I see the language in the Settings but for some reason wrong words don't get highlighted and I don't get any suggestions for incorrect ones. I have tried specifying the language to no avail.

Which version of the OSX are you using?
I'm on 10.11.5.

This does take some fiddling to get it to work right. I've found that I can get it to work only when I have the spelling set to 'Ancient Greek' in System Preferences > Keyboard > Text. Spell checking in Greek doesn't work for me if spelling is set to 'Automatic by Language', which is a bummer. Most of the Greek I type is in word processing applications like LibreOffice, though, which plays more nicely with spelling in multiple languages.

ben.hjorth
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ben.hjorth »

glad to find this thread - thanks. what I'd love is an Ancient Greek-to-English version of MacOS Dictionary so that I could "Look Up" (i.e. use that functionality in the OS) any word that I came across in any program or app... any ideas? Maybe a long shot given Modern Greek's still not built in by Sierra (which I'm running).

thanks

bcdavasconcelos
Textkit Neophyte

ben.hjorth wrote:glad to find this thread - thanks. what I'd love is an Ancient Greek-to-English version of MacOS Dictionary so that I could "Look Up" (i.e. use that functionality in the OS) any word that I came across in any program or app... any ideas? Maybe a long shot given Modern Greek's still not built in by Sierra (which I'm running).

thanks
Hi Ben, you can do this using StarDict.
Here you can find the files for LSJ, Bailly and other dictionaries: http://chaerephon.e-monsite.com/pages/l ... ec-ancien/