Poll: renaming the Biblical Greek forum

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

How to rename the forum "Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek"?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Koine Greek (New Testament included)
24%
Koine and Biblical Greek
56%
Biblical Greek
16%
Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (no change)
4%
Other: please specify.
No votes

Total votes: 25

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Poll: renaming the Biblical Greek forum

Post by Paul Derouda »

How should we rename the forum "Koine Greek And Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek"?

The poll will run for 7 days. You may vote for AS MANY options as you like.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Poll: renaming the Biblical Greek forum

Post by mwh »

Perhaps it's too late to make any difference now, but “Koine and Biblical Greek” carries the implication that Biblical Greek is not Koine. Isn’t that precisely the impression we want to avoid giving? There is of course no such thing as Biblical Greek.

So I strongly urge option 1. We should distinguish ourselves clearly from the B-Greek site.

Michael

PS If you agree and have already cast your vote for option 2, you can ask to change it—or so I hope. :D
Last edited by mwh on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

I think the point, mwh, is not that Biblical Greek is not Koinê, and certainly not that it is a different kind of Greek, but that the kind of discussions that usually spring from texts of a biblical vein are of a different kind than those that come from others, having a tendency to explore the theological side of the text on par with the philological.

I don't really know B-Greek, but I feel that that was the point of having a separate forum for such discussions. So Polybius and Marcus Aurelius would still continue in the Learning Greek (or whatever it ends up being called), whereas Philo and Eusebius would go into the Biblical Greek one. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose here.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Thanks Miguel. I simply think the name we give the forum should not encourage users to think of Biblical Greek as an island complete unto itself, a linguistically unified corpus cut off from koine in general. Too many textbooks and sites treat it as if it were. If posters want to talk about NT texts exclusively, of course they can still do that, and I expect most of them will.

As I see it there's no defined border between the Learning Greek forum and this one (koine is Greek, after all), and I’d hope that posts on Polybius or Philo, say, could find a place in either one.

Michael

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

How about "Koine Greek (The New Testament and Erotic novels)"? But please remove my vote from "Koine and Biblical Greek" and add it to option 1.

Not that I'm a great believer in direct democracy. I feel that if TextKit can't have a benevolent monarch, then at least we should be a Timarchy, ruled by the bloodstained victors of dozens of polite debates.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

jeidsath wrote:How about "Koine Greek (The New Testament and Erotic novels)"?
:)

I think all proposed names have a good point. Anyway, the way I see it, this poll is just a starting point for further discussion, if needed. It would be nice to hear the opinion of those whose primary interest in Greek is the New Testament.

In my personal opinion, we could rewrite the blurb so that it "should not encourage users to think of Biblical Greek as an island complete unto itself, a linguistically unified corpus cut off from koine in general", whichever name we choose.