Textkit Logo

always online?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

always online?

Postby Ptahhotep » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:13 pm

hello!<br /><br />There seems to be a problem with my user or profile. in the online list, it shows that i'm online even though i'm not. i probably opened a new internet explorer or something and logged in again and it got confused :(. can a moderator kick out "Ptahhotep", or will that kick me out forever? ??? I hope this doesnt cause too much hasle.<br />thanks
phpbb
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Re:always online?

Postby klewlis » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:08 pm

if you are inactive and not logged in, it will time itself out. :)
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:43 am

If you're not online how do you know it's showing you as online?
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby benissimus » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:12 am

I assume he logged out. I prefer to always be logged in though, because no one I know of in real life would ever be inclined to visit Textkit on my computer unless they have a love for the Classics which they have not told me about!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mariek » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:53 am

[quote author=Ptahhotep link=board=6;threadid=647;start=0#6076 date=1063656793]<br />There seems to be a problem with my user or profile. in the online list, it shows that i'm online even though i'm not. [/quote]<br /><br />Depending on where you "login", I think you can specify your login session to expire after a certain amount of time. When I login, I set it to keep me online "forever"... of course this is negated when I clean out my cookies. You haven't by any chance cleaned out your Temp files and Temporary Internet Files, have you?<br /><br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:07 am

This is bizarre ???. I use the always log in setting as well. But ever since the move (alright since yesterday), every time I turn my computer on and come to textkit, the opening page for the forum has me down as a guest. When I move to another page I find I'm logged in ok.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Jeff Tirey » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:41 am

[quote author=bingley link=board=6;threadid=647;start=0#6103 date=1063696052]<br />This is bizarre ???. I use the always log in setting as well. But ever since the move (alright since yesterday), every time I turn my computer on and come to textkit, the opening page for the forum has me down as a guest. When I move to another page I find I'm logged in ok.<br />[/quote]<br />That sounds like a cookie issue. I would clear all your cookies OR try to login in wherever you see that you're a guest.<br /><br />The "login-forever" feature I use. This doesn't keep you logged in online, but it sets the lenght of the cookie to a very long time.<br /><br />You can leave the forum and still be listed as online. This is because it takes awhile for the script to time out your session. I think it's about 30 minutes.<br /><br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder
Jeff Tirey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benissimus » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:58 pm

It was doing that to me as well, but only when I had to be redirected. As soon as I changed the link to the new address, everything started working again.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ptahhotep » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:30 pm

Yay, it worked, I'm out. When I connected just now (i'm on a 56k) I quickly logged out, then logged in again, and out. Also, I typed my name in stead of clicking on the cookie, do you think that had anything to do with it? I don't think i'll use the always-on feature just in case I disconnect and it thinks I'm still online.<br /><br />Thanks
phpbb
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board