Textkit Logo

introducing myself

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

introducing myself

Postby gwc42 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:38 am

Hi,
I'm Gary. I studied Latin at school but sadly let it lapse, and although i've long regretted this i'd never quite got around to doing anything about it. I first began to look at Greek many years ago, but unfortunately the textbook i had back then was not very good and i became discouraged. Of late, however, my interest in sncient languages has been rekindled as an offshoot of other interests, and i've been looking at a number of them: Egyptian, using J.P. Allen's text 'Middle Egyptian,' supplemented with Gardiner's grammar; Greek, using a combination of Gavin Betts' text and also going through White's book; Latin, using Collar & Daniel; i've also got Betts' book but have only just started that; and Akkadian, beginning Huehnergard's grammar.
OTOH I expect progress to be slower with so many on the go, but OTOH I find that spending too long on any one of them can lead to saturation, and sometimes it's good to take a break from one and let the subconcious absorb it.
One of the hardest things i find is remembering the vocabulary; grammar is usually easier. Perhaps that's because you have to be aware of the grammar for all texts, whereas words have a habit of turning up once or twice and then disappearing from view for ages.
Perhaps i will be able to find some good computer based flashcards or something.
gwc42
Textkit Neophyte

Re: introducing myself

Postby bedwere » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:27 pm

Welcome to Textkit!
bedwere
Global Moderator

Return to Open Board