Hey guys

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
gaius_marius
Textkit Neophyte

Hey guys

Post by gaius_marius »

I'm a senior in high school from Pennsylvania. Never studied Greek or Latin until now, but I purchased Wheelock's Latin and the workbook and hope I'm off to begin a fun journey of Latin -- and maybe Greek. I'm basically a complete newb about Greek, Latin, and the classical world, apart from a vague, working knowledge of Roman history.

By the way, the reason I made the account is to answer this question. In Wheelock's, there are official vocab words, but also a constant barrage of small bold Latin words which are referenced. Do I have to memorize these? Also, the book's emphasis on pronunciation is pretty distracting as each new word is an ordeal of figuring out the syllables and accents and counterintitive (from Spanish) short vowels. Does this get better over time? Do I have to pronounce the words the way wheelockslatin.com's recordings do: a monotonous moaning sound?

Anyway, I will post those questions in their own post of course, but thought someone might have a quick answer. Look forward to enjoying this forum! :D