Good morning!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
an Nasr al Waqi
Textkit Neophyte

Good morning!

Post by an Nasr al Waqi »

Salvete!

Thank you for the admission into your group. Briefly, I'm a first-generation Andalusian raised in New York City. I have an interest in the study of languages. I had learnt some Latin from my father, who attended a Traditionalist Catholic school during his youth in Spain.

I'm also studying Classical Arabic as well.

I'm re-focusing my efforts via 'Lingva Latina, Pars Vnvs' by Orberg. I've completed reading out loud 'Capitvlvm Vnvm'. I'll begin the second chapter this morning. It's an exciting project; I'm taking on the challenge day-by-day as with the Arabic as well.

I also have 'Wheelock's Latin', (7th edition).

Regarding Oberg's first chapter: can the enclitic '-ne' be attached to names of places? Hence, 'Spartane', 'Germaniane', 'Tiberisne', and so on?

Gratias!

a reader of Homer
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Good morning!

Post by a reader of Homer »

Hello an Nasr al Waqi-

I'm new to this site too.

Reading your description of yourself and interest in Latin and Arabic I am reminded of a documentary I watched recently by English historian Bettany Hughes about the Moors in Spain and the influence they exerted at the time before they left Iberia. I was unaware that the Moors had the most culturally and intellectually advanced society in all Europe at the time, and that they were responsible for bringing much of classical scholarship to Europe. Numerous European scholars traveled to Toledo to learn what they could, and then went home with their suitcases full of books. It seems this is a chapter of European history that has not been emphasized, probably why I hadn't heard of it. Don't know if this is a period of any interest to you, but if so, I'd be interested to hear your perspective on the role of the Moors in the transfer of Greek and Roman learning to the 'Enlightenment', as we call it.

Thanks