Can we try to get new member Θωμᾶς approved?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Can we try to get new member Θωμᾶς approved?

Post by Markos »

He says he has posted several times for several months and is still not approved. Can a moderator look into this? He is not (as I think the vast majority of attempted new members are?) a spammer.

thanks. I will delete this message one he is approved.
Last edited by Markos on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

a reader of Homer
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Can we try to get new member Θῶμας approved?

Post by a reader of Homer »

I've tried making several posts, and applied for approval, with no response at all. I wonder if someone thought I was a spammer, or if no one is paying attention to this site at all. Too bad, either way. Nice site, but can't participate.

- a reader of Homer.

jdhadwin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jdhadwin »

Yes please, I am having the exact same problem as your friend myself. It won't even let me post this reply probably!

UPDATE: Posted August 8th, Approved October 14th, lol

~John
Last edited by jdhadwin on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Markos wrote:Can we try to get new member Θῶμας approved?
Βύηληρ? Βύηληρ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS6f1MKpLGM

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Hi Mark,

Have you tried to notify Jeff? His email is jeff AT pre23 DOT com. I think that the forum would benefit from the presence of a few more moderators.

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Yeah, trying to work on it. Can't get hold of anyone.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

bedwere wrote:Hi Mark,

Have you tried to notify Jeff? His email is jeff AT pre23 DOT com. I think that the forum would benefit from the presence of a few more moderators.
It will probably be most effective if one or two of us contact Jeff directly rather than everyone though it would be helpful if afterwards they post here so we know it's covered.

Does anyone know Jeff in the real world? If Jeff were sick would we know?
λονδον

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

bedwere wrote:Hi Mark,

I tried sending Jeff an email to the above address but gmail refused to recognize it. It may be that Jeff has simply changed his email but should we be more worried?
λονδον

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

Apparently nobody has been able to contact Jeff. I sent him a personal message a few weeks ago, but it hasn't been read yet.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello,

Jeff's last post dates from June 27, 2014, as far as I can see. But his Twitter-account @TireyTv has a last tweet on April 28, 2015. Has anyone heard from him since then? Perhaps he is just extremely busy in the real world. At least I hope that nothing worse has happened. Does anyone follow his Facebook-account?

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

I don't want to sound an empty alarm, but if he really is that absent (and assuming it's just an innocent absence and nothing more serious than that), then it could pose problems well beyond members not getting approved. The forum could actually go offline if no one pays for the textkit.com address and it expires. That probably wouldn't lead to all the posts being lost (that would happen if the account at the host server also expires...) but it would be a dangerous step in that direction.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I was thinking the same thing, and started archiving the posts this weekend. If this keeps up into the new year, I'm going to start posting at http://discourse.greek.io/ and encouraging others to do the same.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

MiguelM wrote:I don't want to sound an empty alarm, but if he really is that absent (and assuming it's just an innocent absence and nothing more serious than that), then it could pose problems well beyond members not getting approved. The forum could actually go offline if no one pays for the textkit.com address and it expires. That probably wouldn't lead to all the posts being lost (that would happen if the account at the host server also expires...) but it would be a dangerous step in that direction.
If it starts to get that bad, is there no way we could ask to take it over?

He has a linkedin account. He started a new job a bit over a year ago. It doesn't seem to have changed since then but I with the free membership that I have I wasn't able to send him a personal message.
λονδον

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

That would be far preferable, if we can make it happen. I started the other board for 1) new members, and 2) in case the lights go out tomorrow (I feel that is a possibility). If we manage to get a hold of Jeff and fix things, I will be overjoyed to take it down.

But without new members, discussion had been getting very stale. If we can't find a solution by the new year, I'm going to do whatever I can to get the community that's left to move somewhere else.

Another great solution -- better than the Discourse board that I set up -- might be a stack exchange community (especially if we can pool finances and ownership so it's not just one person running it).
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

On the blog Jeff mentioned that Textkit is hosted on a Rackspace’s Cloud Files product (with a link). We could agree on someone to contact Rackspace directly to ask if we can take it over. If they turn round and and tell us no way because Jeff has just paid the annual subscription that would at least be reassuring.
Last edited by daivid on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
λονδον

Pros
Textkit Member

Post by Pros »

I played detective today and tracked down Jeff Tirey at work. He is alive! After mentioning to him the concerns I have been reading about concerning the running of Textkit, he said he would log on and address some of the issues today with a post.

Pros

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

τετέλεσται.

I think I just approved new member Θῶμας!

Pros
Textkit Member

Post by Pros »

ἓν μὲν μικρὸν ἴχνος ὑπὲρ Θωμᾶ, ἓν δὲ πολὺ πήδημα ὑπὲρ <Textkit>! :D

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Paul Derouda wrote:τετέλεσται.

I think I just approved new member Θῶμας!
χάριν οὖν σοι δίδωμεν. φαίνεται γὰρ οὖτος ὧδε.

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... 42#p176442
Pros wrote:ἓν μὲν μικρὸν ἴχνος ὑπὲρ Θωμᾶ, ἓν δὲ πολὺ πήδημα ὑπὲρ <Textkit>! :D
πάνυ γε!
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

Θωμᾶς
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Can we try to get new member Θωμᾶς approved?

Post by Θωμᾶς »

ἰδοὺ ἐγώ.

εὐχαριστῶ τῷ Μάρκῳ καὶ πᾶσιν ὑμῖν. οὐκ ἔγνων ἵνα ὁ παραλαμβάνοντες τῆς συγγνώμης με γράψαι ᾖ οὕτω σκληρός. νῦν δεῖ με ἀθλεῖν τὸν γράφειν καλόν μετὰ ταῦτα τὰ ἔργα ὑμῶν. :)
שלוֹם
Θωμᾶς