My Self-Intro: Please Allow Me to Join!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
leisulin
Textkit Member

My Self-Intro: Please Allow Me to Join!

Post by leisulin »

OK. I have made two different posts which were both serious, but neither appeared. I guess they were not serious enough. So I must be "beyond clear" that I have an interest in Textkit. I studied Latin first in high school (2 years) then a year at the University of Arizona, and then I decided to be a Classics major and chose Greek as my specialty. I specialized in Greek tragedy, and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a B.A. in Classics. That was in 1978. In 2001, having dreamed for a long time about going back to college, I enrolled at the University of Colorado in the graduate program in Chinese, and, after five years, and with a 4.0 average, achieved a Master's degree in Chinese. Now, in 2015, I'm renewing my interest in Classics by resuming study of Latin on my own. I've so far worked through Wheelock, M&F, Latin via Ovid, and now, making enthusiastic use of the Textkit key to the exercises of D'ooge's Latin for Beginners, I'm breezing through all the exercises in that book. I want eventually to be skilled enough to read some of the more famous works of Latin literature such as the Aeneid, the Metamorphoses, the poems of Catullus, et al.

The first post that was rejected (apparently) involved a key to the long prose selections at the end of Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition. I eventually found a key to those exercises on my own. Today, I posted another short message thinking I had either 1) found an error in the Textkit key to D'Ooge's text, or 2) I have a grave misapprehension about how the grammar should work in the simple sentence concerned. Perhaps someone will still answer that post, if it hasn't been rejected.

I hope to be able to ask further questions here, and am quite serious about my interest in Textkit. :)

sydneylam19
Textkit Neophyte

Re: My Self-Intro: Please Allow Me to Join!

Post by sydneylam19 »

你好!很高興你有興趣學習中文和拉丁語,更難得的,是你對終身學習的熱忱與語言天分.(希望我這帖文不會給管理員刪除)請問你覺得中文還是拉丁語難學呢?

In case someone can't read Chinese (or traditional characters), here is the translation:

Hi! I am glad that you are interested in studying Chinese and Latin. In particular, I'm very impressed with your passion for lifelong scholarship and talent in language learning. (I hope the post would not be deleted by the moderator) Do you think Chinese is more difficult to learn than Latin?

:D

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: My Self-Intro: Please Allow Me to Join!

Post by Victor »

sydneylam19 wrote:你好!很高興你有興趣學習中文和拉丁語,更難得的,是你對終身學習的熱忱與語言天分.(希望我這帖文不會給管理員刪除)請問你覺得中文還是拉丁語難學呢?

In case someone can't read Chinese (or traditional characters), here is the translation:

Hi! I am glad that you are interested in studying Chinese and Latin. In particular, I'm very impressed with your passion for lifelong scholarship and talent in language learning. (I hope the post would not be deleted by the moderator) Do you think Chinese is more difficult to learn than Latin?

:D
好像 leisulin 很久以前走了,没有回来, 是不是?