Introduction. Greetings from Serbia

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dimitrios0419
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction. Greetings from Serbia

Post by dimitrios0419 »

Hello there, I would like to introduce myself to this forum. I didn't just recently discover this site, actualy I am familiar with it for almost a year. I found it through internet research and I think it is a real ''el dorado'' for thouse who want to learn classic languages. Also it is just amazing to get to know people who study these languages and have someone to talk about for hours. My personal reason for Greek and Latin is History. Then I began studying Greek (modern) and fell in love not only with history but with everything that language brings: culture, people, the way of thinking etc etc...
Personaly I tend to learn Greek better, thus I will be spending more time with it then Latin. Also, my opinion is that, if someone wants to learn Greek, should not be limited only to Ancient for eg. attic dialect. or the Homeric Greek, but also learn all variaties of it. From Homer to modern day dimotiki. I know it is quite a challange and it requires time and dedication, but it is one language. It never stopped being Greek. Someone may not agree with it but Ancient Greek and modern Greek are same language wich evolved by time. Latin and romance languages aren't.
So I started my way from Modern Greek and I am still not very good at it. It has been over a year when I began.. but for real, I've been studying it not a whole 2 months. :( It has to do a lot with shortage of materials for learning. Because I am not very fluent in English and I have to learn another language over it.
Anyway, I am still going hard on Modern Greek, something to advanced level, and I belive it's time to start digging little the Koine or Ancient Greek I am not still sure. Koine seems a lot easier and more ''understandable'' for me.
As far as Latin goes for me, I might say I am an complete dummy for it. I dont know if I am allowed to say the name of books here as my first post, I can't recall if it says something about this in the ''terms of use'' but anyway. :) I did first two units of ''LINGVA LATINA PER SE ILLUSTRATA'' by Hans Orberg, and I think it is fenomenal !!! I am already addicted to it. And I think it would be amazing if some contest like that existed in Greek. I think it doesn't but, if someone knows something PLEASE tell me :)
I assure everyone that I am going to be as active as I can on this forum. I am open to chat on enormous amount of subjects, but first things first, History and Languages.

Something about myself in general: I am 20 years old, besides history and languages I like sport, training, (chess, ping pong, dart :))) ) music, politics, mathematics(but I am complete lazy ass to start practicing it) etc..
That's it my friends, thanks everyone who took couple of minutes to read this long introduction, I hope everyone here learn language they want and make friends etc. From Serbia, Belgrade.