Hello Everybody!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
inkandquill
Textkit Neophyte

Hello Everybody!

Post by inkandquill »

Hello Everyone!

My name is Stephanie and I'm 25 years old. I am currently enrolled at Southern New Hampshire University and am majoring in creative writing. (Seriously tempted to switch to be a history major!) I would love to eventually publish a book series, but would like to teach at a university level once I finish my masters. (I still have a year left on my bachelors so I have a little ways to go!)

I am so happy to have found this website and am really excited to work on learning Latin and Greek in my free time. (I think I'm going to start with Latin first, just by reviewing through a few of the book files, Latin seems a little friendlier to me)

I think my love and passion for both of these languages comes from the ancient civilizations. Ever since I was little I was absolutely obsessed with Egypt, especially with the city of Alexandria. It feels like every fiber of my being calls out for more knowledge of it. Where better to start than with the languages of the time period?

(I also was influenced by Cleopatra VII knowing multiple languages and being very educated. It fuels my inner fire a bit.)

I am literally at the beginning stages of learning these languages. (As in I downloaded a couple of PDF's and read the introductions and looked over the alphabets) I am very excited to jump fully into it.

I hope everybody is having a lovely evening!
-Stephanie

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re: Hello Everybody!

Post by klewlis »

welcome here and good luck with your studies. :)

Latin is in fact friendlier, but Greek is prettier. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

inkandquill
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Hello Everybody!

Post by inkandquill »

Thank you!

From what I've seen so far, I completely agree. I'm so excited to have the ability to read some original first hand accounts of historical events.

Besides, as an aspiring writer and wanting to create an entire world, I want to know some ancient languages so I can create my own and make it believable. Two examples that made me realize that may be a successful key to a good series was Tolkien's creation of Elvish using Finnish and Rowling's use of Latin for the wizard spells.