demo a script written by Jeff

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

demo a script written by Jeff

Post by Jeff Tirey »

ok, this is VERY off topic - and those who 'know' me realize I don't usually discuss too much about my non-Textkit life in the forum.<br /><br />BUT - i could use your help.<br /><br />I have written a web application that needs evaluating and debugging. This application is a web script that can be installed and customized and its meant to promote home plans for the residential home building industry. The script is in my opinion neato because everything you'll see on the site is managed through an online administration area. This includes image upload, resizing and compression - a significant challenge for me.<br /><br />What i need is a wide variety of visitors using different browsers to check out the script and look for bugs as well as tell me anything you like or don't like about the application - especially if you find the navigation confusing. <br /><br /> If you REALLY want to help, please create an account through the script, save some home plans and generate some reports. There are actually some pretty nice user account features. <br /><br />here's the link: http://demo.pre23.com/<br /><br />If you have feedback, please use the contact form on the demo script or PM me on this forum.<br /><br />thanks,<br />jeff<br /><br />
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:demo a script written by Jeff

Post by benissimus »

Sorry, I don't have time to check it out right now. There is however, a misspelling of the word "quality" as "qaulity" and in the sentence "the scripts most robust features" should probably a possessive apostrophe somewhere. Images are a pain to correct though...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yeah, I could really use a spellchecker feature in an image editor! I NEVER see my own mistakes - thanks for pointing that out.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I just hope they aren't too hard to fix. Whenever I check something for errors I always end up finding the hard ones or ones that uproot everything else. I suppose this one isn't too bad ::)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

no, these are very easy to fix. they're both already updated.
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Ok, I changed my mind and am checking it out now. <br /><br />*After you log in, I think the Communities button should be made a little more prominent compared to the "Save" one, seeing as how it serves the main purpose on that page.<br /><br />*There is a typo for the word "travel" as "traval" under instructions on this page and on other pages: http://demo.pre23.com/communities_detai ... ev_id=3<br /><br />*On this page, the first line under the image has a misspelling of "truly" as "trul": http://demo.pre23.com/home.php?dev_id=4&home_id=5<br />It is misspelled in the second paragraph as well (someone's "Y" key is stuck?) Also, "embodying modern conveniences and modern beauty" is a little bit repetitive. This same page also has a word "losting" in the third paragraph under the image, probably a typo for "losing".<br /><br />*I don't see that the previous errors have been updated.<br /><br />*I think there's a little more than meets the eye about Ms. Thurman and Mr. Harrison ;)<br /><br />_________________________________________________<br /><br />Other than those, it seems like a very nice site, and I don't really mind the romantic tension between the agents, so don't mess with that. All righty, be sure and tell how that venture goes along :)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

HTML:<br />- using font tags! ack! bad! <br />- you have two body tags<br />- there's no text except for news! until search engines can read text off of images (which I hope doesn't happen any time soon), you *have* to have text on your front page... I know it looks prettier to use images instead, but that completely kills any hope of getting a good ranking in google.<br /><br />APP:<br />- might make the navigation stand out a bit more (I mean the secondary navigation, for viewing my saved stuff...). Even though I saw the button there and pushed it, it took me a minute to figure out that the rest of my options were right there... I need to recognize it as navigation and not just an extra text box (which I automatically tune out!). Yes, I know it seems painfully obvious but if *I* missed it, then many others will too (I do this for a living ;)<br />- I really like how the welcome centre looks after I've saved a plan or two. <br />- If I remove all my plans and attempt to generate a brochure or report, it still lets me and then doesn't have any info to display... might want to check against that. <br /><br />everything else looks great!<br /><br /><br />
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

you're very clever to pick up on the Mr. Harrison/ Ms. Thurman feature so quickly - that was a little touch i added just for interest. I tried to give the Sales team personalities.<br /><br />URRR... typos.. I'll get those fixed!<br /><br />Good suggestion about featuring the communities link more.<br /><br />You'll need to reload the home page to see the changes.<br />
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

how do i log out?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Klewis - thanks for the feedback.<br /><br />yes, font tags are evil. I took the easy way out because i can't decide yet if layout controlled in a config file on in a style sheet. It's a little bit of both right now. There are also some hard coded colors that need to be removed as well.<br /><br />I'll add a log-out buttom :-) The login features runs with session variables which expire after 20 minutes - but I'll add log-out as well.<br /><br />About no saved plans. See, this is why I like others to look at this. I wouldn't think of trying to generate a report without a saved plan. I'll add in a little something that if no reports are found, it'll provide instructions on how to save some home plans - good point! I worry about how well the reports print - that was tricky to get the layout correct so that no images would be broken across two pages when printing.<br /><br />Text/Images SEO - yep. That's true. BUT i need this demo to look over search engine results. If I was building this application for a client there would be way more text for indexing. Still, I could add some alt tags to the images.<br /><br /><br />jeff<br />
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It would also be nice if you stayed logged in when you return to the homepage.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I love session variables and 20 minutes is fine... but there are a few people out there who prefer to manually log out, for security's sake :)<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

aahhh.. that looks like a bug. I logged in, then went to to the homepage, then went a floor plan to see if the save box was visible. It wasn't the first time, but then when I tried it again it was visible.<br /><br />So a session value is getting dumped somewhere. I'll debug this - thanks!
Textkit Founder

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

mine didn't get dumped... but now I don't remember my route.