Uhhhh....it's been a while....do I still know anyone here?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

Uhhhh....it's been a while....do I still know anyone here?

Post by Kopio »

Hello Textkittens,

It's been a very long time since I've visited this site. I was incredibly active on it during my undergrad (Koine Greek Major), but since I got my degree life has been incredibly hectic.

I'm just wondering if any of my old friends (and yes, by now we are all old) are still around? Say hello if you are.

-Kopio

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Uhhhh....it's been a while....do I still know anyone her

Post by Adelheid »

Wish I could be as active as I was, what is it, 8 years ago? Trying to read Odyssey Book 5 right now, but other interests have taken over.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I remember you!

I'm back again too after a long absence.

What are you studying now?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

Modern Greek, for a few years now. And I am trying to learn to play the piano. It all seems to take time away from Ancient Greek, not because of the actual time I spend on those other subjects, but because the focus has shifted.

Book 5 *is* still tempting me, however.
Regards,
Adelheid
http://www.perispomenon.nl

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Hey Guys,

Yeah...it was at least 8 years ago....it's been a while. I've kept up on my Greek reading. I am currently a pastor....not a job I thought I'd ever have!

But, all the Greek comes in handy! I've been playing the Bass guitar, as well as just being busy with life, marriage, ministry and fishing when I get the chance.

Good to see some old farts are still around....

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Nice to see you all again.

My Greek study is on the same loose pace with large vacancies here and there, as it was years before.
But I think I should put some time in Latin as well, sooner or later, or it will be too late.

* P. S.
Odyssey. Wow! And book 5! Wow again! I had an intense study with Plato's Charmides. I got into half of the book. A good experience in the winter vacation. But since then a long vacancy again in Greek, let alone Modern Greek. I think I should spare one hour or two on the Weekends at the least, although one thing or another keeps happening to take my whole attention.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Kopio wrote:Hey Guys,

Yeah...it was at least 8 years ago....it's been a while. I've kept up on my Greek reading. I am currently a pastor....not a job I thought I'd ever have!

But, all the Greek comes in handy! I've been playing the Bass guitar, as well as just being busy with life, marriage, ministry and fishing when I get the chance.

Good to see some old farts are still around....
Congrats! At least you have an element to like your job. :wink:

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I didn't hang out on the Greek side of the forums so much, but I'm a aparently a moderately old fart at this point, having registred in 2006... time does fly.

After learning enough Greek to read basic texts, I've completely let it go. I still try to keep up with my Latin. Currently re-reading books of the Aeneid and some Caesar when I can find the time.

Good to see some of the old guard.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Yeah....it is good to see some of the old gang again! I was still in university when I was on here a bunch...lol...I just looked up my join date...it was back in 2004. I'm slowly starting to realize that I'm actually in my 40's! I hope it sinks in before I'm 50!!

Anyhow....I'm thinking of picking up some Ugaritic...anyone know of any good online resources like Textkit for such a thing? I've been studying Canaanite religion, and it seems like it would be good to at least be able to wrestle with the original texts a bit. I do have a few years of Hebrew under my belt...so I am somewhat familiar with Semitic languages.

Anyhow....good to see you again Thesaurus! Keep studying! I'm not quite a sharp as I was in university, but I still use my Greek regularly.

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Many thanks to Klewlis for helping me to recover my old account! I changed my email address years ago and couldn't get into the account. I have been posting this last while under the new username 'Dominus Faba', which account shall be laid to rest in a dignified fashion.

I remember you guys, but I doubt if many of you remember me. I was fairly quiet on the forum since I knew/know very little about classical languages but was/am eager to persevere in learning. The only member from that time I ever had lengthy dealings with (regarding a massive file of a scanned copy of Wagner's 'Phraseologia Latina' - well, it was massive then!) was GlottalGreekGeek. Anyone know what happened to her?

Seán
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.