Salve

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cglass
Textkit Neophyte

Salve

Post by cglass »

Hello, I am Colby Glass, Professor Emeritus (retired). I was an academic librarian, department chair, and taught library science and philosophy. I have studied Latin since middle school, and got a minor in it for my BA. All these years I have promised myself that when I retired I would learn Greek, especially Homer.

Well, now I have retired and I have quite a few texts and textbooks on Greek and am wading through it. However, I would like to see a Greek-Latin Lexicon, possibly the one by Chrestos Adamantios (1908) added to the textkit resources.

I look forward to the forum.

Thanks, everyone.
Colby

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Salve

Post by Paul Derouda »

Hello and welcome to the forum! Learning to read Homer in the original is a great goal. Feel free to ask for help here when needed.

I don't know so much about Greek-Latin dictionaries, but for Homer a great dictionary is Cunliffe's Lexicon of the Homeric Dialect.

For learning to read Homer, Pharr's textbook is good and I can recommend it from my own experience. It's old fashioned in some respects, but you get to read real Homer quite soon, and by the end of the book you have read the whole of the first book of the Iliad. You can find it online on this site; also, I think both Pharr and Cunliffe are also available as paperbacks that are not too expensive.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Welcome to the forum!

Greek-Latin dictionaries aren't so easy to come by, but whatever you find make sure you take a look at Godmy's Lexica Latina et Græca, where both the Hedericus and the Schrevelius are searchable by dictionary entry, which is a huge added advantage.

Vale.

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

cglass wrote: Well, now I have retired and I have quite a few texts and textbooks on Greek and am wading through it. However, I would like to see a Greek-Latin Lexicon, possibly the one by Chrestos Adamantios (1908) added to the textkit resources.

I look forward to the forum.

Thanks, everyone.
Colby
One other Gk-Lat. lexicon I've got is Scapula's (modelled on Stephanus). My copy was published at the Clarendon Press in 1820.
This one https://archive.org/stream/lexicongraec ... i/mode/2up
is the same work published more cheaply.
Congratulations on your retirement, by the way!