First Post

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Faith+1
Textkit Neophyte

First Post

Post by Faith+1 »

I am beginning a PhD program in ancient history at UCLA this Fall and am required to take diagnostic exams in Greek and Latin before my first quarter starts. Thus far, I have been immersed in both grammar and reading all summer . I hope to participate in many constructive dialogues about grammar and texts, and hope to get constructive help on many translation issues. My initial question is, how are people posting Greek font on this forum? Do they cut and paste, or is there a built in font that I am overlooking? Thanks.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Re: First Post

Post by Phil- »

Welcome, Faith! I know of three ways to input Greek characters.

(1) The Polytonic Greek keyboard layout in Windows. See this guide on how to set that up. Be warned, this keyboard layout is quite complicated.

(2) http://www.typegreek.com/. The keyboard layout is much simpler here, but you have to copy text from the site to wherever you want it.

Or (3) you could pay $24 for Tavultesoft Keyman and download the Classical Greek keyboard layout from their site. This layout is almost identical to the one at Type Greek, and like the Windows keyboard layout it can be used anywhere without any copying and pasting.

I used method 2 for a while but eventually saw that Keyman was worth the price for me. I'm sure there are other methods, but these are the ones I've found.

Faith+1
Textkit Neophyte

Re: First Post

Post by Faith+1 »

Okay thanks, I will use option 2 until I reach the point that the money is worth it. The characters seem well enough for now.