greetings from Bayside, NY

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Steven Avery
Textkit Neophyte

greetings from Bayside, NY

Post by Steven Avery »

Hi,

Greetings!

My name is Steven Avery, from Bayside, NY.

As a believer with Bible interests that include apologetics and infallibility issues, I've been interested in Greek, and some Latin, discussions in Bible text studies for many years.

Often I like to see how the historical views of an issue developed, and if they differ from the modern views. So in that sense some of my interest is more journalistic than text-geek. However, in so doing I often find myself engrossed in some of the technical details, such as the wonderful game of "find the antecedent". (Example, on CARM, there was a fascinating discussion about the dueling nominative antecedents of 1 John 5:20 and the third way of the conceptual antecedent. It was more an overview study than anything that could be determined by a specific controlling grammatical element. How would John write clearly for his readers?)

When helpful, I do lean on friends fairly skilled in the topics, including one who is a linguist (with degrees in Greek, Latin and other languages). And we find that such a collaboration of skills and studies can be helpful.

The last weeks, the Greek studies have principally been around constructio ad sensum and when this is the best explanation of an apparent grammatical gender discordance. (The studies began as one explanation of the Critical Text in 1 Timothy 3:16 and then developed into a broader study.) And I have been rather astounded at how explanations have changed and also how highly dubious (and that is a mild word) examples are given even in well-known Greek grammar texts. And on constructio, or synesis, good 'ol Benedikt Winer (who varies in modern writers in a range from grammatical whiz to bogey-man) seems to include an important element that is bypassed in many modern studies and examples. (And this may also can help understand writers who try to explain the grammar phenomenon in somewhat different terms, or are tired of the widespread use and possible abuse of the constructio reasoning.)

For a decade I posted, with only mild questions of moderation (especially when discussions would veer off-topic to doctrinal) on the famous b-greek forum. One especially interesting thread being on μονογενὴς, the issues including only begotten or unique. There has been a change of ownership on that sister forum, after the able originator Carl Conrad retired his position. And now I am looking for a more open and responsive forum where studies could be shared and considered, iron sharpeneth.

This little search led me ..here! :)

Yours truly,
Steven Avery
Bayside, Queens