Textkit Logo

Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Introduction

Postby k_sze » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Hello,

My name is Kal. I am mostly here to learn and, hopefully someday, help others learn Latin. I did two years of Latin when I was in highschool, but that was waaaay back, between 1995 and 1997. We mostly learned to translated from some simplified texts about the history of the Roman Empire, from Latin into French. I have gotten (very) rusty as the years have gone by.

A few months ago, I stumbled across the ##latin channel on Freenode IRC, and was introduced to the LLPSI book series (and the idea of Latin not as a dead language, but as a colloquial one). Since then, I have embarked on a quest to re-learn Latin as a colloquial language.

Books I am relying on:
[list=]
[*]Invitation au latin 4em - d'Énée à Césara (Gason), my first year high-school textbook
[*]Invitation au latin 3em - de César à Marc-Aurèle (Gason & Lambert), my second year high-school textbook
[*]LLPSI
[*]Nunc Loquamur (McCarthy)
[*]Converstional Latin for Oral Proficiency (Traupman)
[*]Dictionnaire de Latin (Goelzer)
[*]Grammaire Latine (Cart, Grimal, Lamaison, & Noiville)
[/list]

Other tidbits about myself:
I'm a Python/JavaScript programmer from Hong Kong. I also speak French, Cantonese, and Putonghua (Mandarin).
k_sze
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Introduction

Postby Phil- » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:48 am

Hi Kal, I'm new here too. I'm currently going through LLPSI, and colloquial Latin has intrigued me for a while. You might know of the SCHOLA site, which has Latin chat.

-Phil
Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board