Loeb Classical Library going online, Fall 2014

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Loeb Classical Library going online, Fall 2014

Post by akhnaten »

For those who will have access, this looks quite spectacular:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/features/loeb/digital.html

I do not know what Harvard will price this at for educational institutions, or if it will be open for individual scholars. I can only hope it is affordable, since so much of it is in the public domain. But, the print editions of certain volumes (Cicero, Homer) are surely still money-makers for Harvard UP, and they have been funding a fairly weak re-translation effort (editing sections which had rather 'Victorian' translations and glosses on homosexuality). But, again, so much of it is public domain--they may decide it should be affordable...Can only hope.

They are making pained attempts at presenting a readable Greek font, but hard to know what typography will be used on the finished site.

Curious to know what any users think of it, when/if their institution has access. (Anyone who is a faculty member can forward the link to their librarian friends; there is a link to contact for subscription info as well as trial membership).

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Loeb Classical Library going online, Fall 2014

Post by Phil- »

That looks pretty neat. I agree, you would think they'd make the public domain material accessible... I'll be starting at a university in the fall, so I'll be sure to check it out there.