Using Latin Series

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
spqr
Textkit Fan

Using Latin Series

Post by spqr »

Using Latin is a series of three books which takes the student from basic grammar(not just Latin but English as well) to longer and more difficult stories plus there is a plethora of illustrations. I used the first book myself back in the 60s when I was a freshman in high school. I always thought these books gave a good balance between the grammar and real reading experience as opposed to many books today which are top heavy with one or the other. I have often wondered why these books dropped out of the lexicon of Latin textbooks. In a fit of nostalgia I purchased old used copies of all three books from Ebay or Amazon and they are just as I remember. Are there any Forum members familiar with these books?

Gregarius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Using Latin Series

Post by Gregarius »

Yes! This was the book I first learned from in high school, uh, somewhat later. Our copies of the books were pretty beat-up. We loved these books. I can still quote from the first reading in the book. "casa non est casa magna". I still remember snickering as a teenage boy at the lines about "Jason et Medea in silva", and what all that implied.

For some reason, Jenny beat out "Using Latin" in the market, but I loved the stories in Using Latin, and thought it was very effective.

I don't think we ever got to volume III, just the first two, then off to Caesar.

sacaro
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Using Latin Series

Post by sacaro »

My name is Sebastián Caro. I am from Chile. I am a Latin teacher in schools and colleges. I am always looking for new methods and textbooks for improving my classes and the learning of my students.

Recently, my students asked me to using a latin textbook based on classical mythology, so I started searching it. I have been trying to find texts like Using Latin, but, unfortunately, I have been unable to find it neither in libraries or bookstores in my country. I looked for them in online bookstores like Amazon and Book Depository, but the books are out of print. There are some used copies on sale, but they are not sent abroad.

For this reason, I would like to know if you could send me a scanned copy of the books, if you have it. I promise to use it for educational purposes only. It would be a great help to me, my students and the classical tradition in my country.

I hope you can help me. We will be eternally grateful.