Textkit Logo

Using Latin Series

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Using Latin Series

Postby spqr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Using Latin is a series of three books which takes the student from basic grammar(not just Latin but English as well) to longer and more difficult stories plus there is a plethora of illustrations. I used the first book myself back in the 60s when I was a freshman in high school. I always thought these books gave a good balance between the grammar and real reading experience as opposed to many books today which are top heavy with one or the other. I have often wondered why these books dropped out of the lexicon of Latin textbooks. In a fit of nostalgia I purchased old used copies of all three books from Ebay or Amazon and they are just as I remember. Are there any Forum members familiar with these books?
spqr
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Using Latin Series

Postby Gregarius » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 am

Yes! This was the book I first learned from in high school, uh, somewhat later. Our copies of the books were pretty beat-up. We loved these books. I can still quote from the first reading in the book. "casa non est casa magna". I still remember snickering as a teenage boy at the lines about "Jason et Medea in silva", and what all that implied.

For some reason, Jenny beat out "Using Latin" in the market, but I loved the stories in Using Latin, and thought it was very effective.

I don't think we ever got to volume III, just the first two, then off to Caesar.
Gregarius
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board